ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:24 pm 

Can you find out what the biopsy actually said for me please?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:09 pm 

I sure can. Anything in particular you are looking for so I can ask? When she told me that it can back positive and then started into treatment, I stopped and asked her what type it came up as and she had to pull up the paperwork again and then she told me it tested positive for both types. What is your concern here?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:44 pm 

usually when folks are told that they have both types from a single test, the provider read it wrong. just covering the bases.

do you know if it was an actual biopsy or a lesion culture? biopsy is a poor way to diagnose and they can't type.

grace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:37 pm 

Now that you mention it, they did both a biopsy and a blood test (herpes select), not sure where she is reading it from. Can't recall for sure if she was reading it from the biopsy or the herpes select test. It was an actual biopsy, they cut away a piece of the skin. Also note that herpes select test from:

April 12
type 1 = 3.28
type 2 = 1.28

Feb 10 results
type 1 = 4.13
type 2 = 1.74

Also note that a recent culture was negative and all three doctors on first review didn't think it was herpes. I had a Western Blot test done back in February that I had my current doctor request from my old doctor who never called me with the results even after at least 4 requests to him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:36 am 

if your old doctor isn't getting back to your new doctor, perhaps your new doctor should call the U of washington personally about your WB results?

this should be easier shouldn't it?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:28 pm 

I got my report back. The report came directly from the Pathology Clinic

Diagnosis:
Skin, penis, shave biopsy:
Changes suggestive of herpes virus effect.

Comment:
HSV immunohsitochemical stain are being obtained and an addendum report will be issued.

Addendum Comment:
HSV1 and HSV2 stains with appropriate controls were reviewed. The HSV1 stain is negative and the HSV2 stain is weakly positive. This would support an interpretation of Herpes simplex infection. The original diagnosis remains unchanged.

The Herpes Select test was also performed, that is where I assume they got positive for both types. Just still boggles me that within a month I got from negative for both and then positive for both at the same time, weird.

My Western Blot test stated: positive for antibody of past infection with both HSV-1 and HSV-2 by Western Blot. No scores given.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 am 

you won't get numeric results with the Wb. you only get a + or a - with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 pm 

Thanks for all your help Betsy. Not that I hadn't come to grips that I have herpes, it was all the confusion between the different diagnosis, symptoms and results that were harboring all my anxiety.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4