ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:28 pm 

He didn't take a swab, I wanted him to but totally forgot to ask. He did give me a topically steriod - Betamethasone Dipropionate. It already started clearing it up. I've used topical steriods before and know their power. I will be using gently because it does weaken the skin, but I've been treating my penis all my life with topical creams so I'm well aware of what they do to you.

Thanks Betsy for all your input!

To other men out there that read this. PLEASE be diagnosed by a professional before you assume you have a skin condition or herpes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:06 am 

there are other non-steroidal things you can try like elidel cream if you've used that before. Just no naked sunbathing when using that ;)

they have to biopsy to diagnose it, it's not something you can swab like herpes. If the steroids don't keep it at bay, just follow up with a dermatologist.

good luck!!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:02 pm 

I got my test results back today and they were negative for type 1 and 2. This would be 30 days from possible exposure, also both partners got re-tested and both were negative and my symptoms, although could (and were) mistaken as herpes, are now not following the typical pattern. Doctor on second visit advised it was lichen planus.

I will be going to a new doctor from now on though. My first visit I told him I belief I have a STD, which when he saw my spots/lesions on my penis, immediately said it was herpes and within a minute shuffled me out with a Valtrex prescription. He was pre-disposed to immediately assume herpes because I came in with the disposition I had a STD without any further counseling. No questions about sexual history, partners, symptoms, etc.

Also on my second visit, I told him about online STD services that he knew nothing about and when I told him about online dating services for herpes positive people, he laughed hard and said that is sick. Which I thought was extremely rude and insensitive, especially considering that there is/was a chance that I was herpes positive still as well as people with herpes are just as normal as anyone else and want to find love and happiness just anyone else using a dating service.

With the recent negative results, both partners with negative results, a diagnosis of lichen planus and now non-herpes skin problems, I can feel at ease, but I will follow up with re-testing around 12 weeks to be on the safe side.

However, I will continue to donate to ASHA and I am going to find some way to volunteer to help educate people and kids about STDs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Question out of curiosity - Since I did 10 days of Valtrex, 3x a day at 500mg, does my body now have anti-bodies built up to fight off herpes in the future better? I understand it does not prevent me from acquiring it, but let's say I do happen to acquire it, will my body fight it better and my symptoms would be less severe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:19 pm 

The herpes antivirals work by disrupting the viral replication process. They don't help provider immunity or anything like that.

I wouldn't even bother with any more testing for herpes to be honest. Both partners are negative, your symptoms don't sound like herpes at this point and you have a more plausible diagnosis too.

don't hesitate to write a complaint letter to the clinic you were seen at too. Let them know that their providers attitudes towards herpes are disrespectful and need to change since 1 out of every 2 of their patients has at least oral herpes and 1 out of 4 at least have genital herpes.

I always tell folks to tell 1 least 1 friend what they've learned about std's when appropriate. If all of us could share what we've learned with just 1 other person, we'd have the whole world educated better in no time :)

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:55 am 

The drama continues and it finally unfolded.

I went and had another test done which came back positive for both types.

To recap, back in mid Nov I was having unprotected sex with my partner (had sex with protection as well with someone else) which I developed spots on my penis (I never had the painful symptoms or associated fever). Got tested about 8 days post exposure (Igg and Igm), both came back negative. I had more spots a few weeks later, went back to the doctor and he stated it was lichen planus. Also, my partners claimed they were negative. I went back 30 days post exposure and got tested and they came back negative (got tested for both types). I now believe I am negative. I had protected sex on Jan 29th.

Last week I started seeing spots again, so I figured it was my lichen planus acting up again, but figure I get tested to be sure...on Feb 11th I got tested and came back positive for Type I and II. What is peculiar is being positive for both types when I never was positive for type I. type 1 reads 4.13 and type 2 reads 1.74. I went through tSTD website.

So here I am, positive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:24 am 

your hsv2 igg is a low positive. You'll need to confirm it with further testing to see if it's a true positive or not. Your options are, wait until the 4 month mark and then get a herpes western blot ( wb ), a herpes biokit or repeat the herpeselect and make sure they also order the herpes inhibition assay to go with it.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 am 

Thanks Betsy. How do I request that specific test? Is there a website perhaps to go through? Can my doctor order the Western Blot or Biokit? if so will he know how to do this? If not how can I direct him? Also if I want the inhibition assay, how does one go about specifying it?

Also, the likely candidate girl (unprotected sex), still denys she has it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:31 pm 

If your doc uses quest labs, they can order the WB for herpes as well as another herpeselect and the inhibition assay with it.

Some clinics use the biokit hsv2 rapid test, some don't.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:03 pm 

Hi Betsy,

As always thank you for your support. I'm still a donator to this site!

So I called my doctor to get my results. Apparently my culture/biopsy got misplaced at the doctors office and was never sent in for testing (albeit is wasn't a good swab). I went in to the lab on Mar 10th to get the Western Blot test done and have not heard back from my doctor on it yet; so almost 3 weeks. I've called twice asking for the results and the nurse advises me that he does his call at night, but alas he has not.

Going batty over this. My doctor on my last visit does not believe it to be genital herpes, despite my positive results for both types (type 1 -4.13 and type 2 -1.74), so I think he just didn't both sending the culture in.

I've talked personally with several people who have it and I explained my symptoms to them and they all are perplexed and don't think it is hsv. None of the lesions/spots/bumps, etc were painful, itchy, rash, tingle, etc (zero pain). I've had shingles as an adult and apparently they are similar in feeling and those hurt.

I had a low-risk exposure back in July and had 4 neg tests since then, the lastest test being 6 months past exposure and had no outbreak symptoms. My alleged exposure in mid Nov (un-pro sex but she claims to this day she is neg) where afterwards I had the lesions broken out for 7 days, healed and then for another month I had lesions, zero pain. as of two weeks ago I had two tiny, tiny, tiny spots in the same area the day after I had a condom on (no intercourse, don't ask, funny story). Last week in hotel room on business travel I woke up in the middle of the night with an intense rash under my arm that was super sensitive to touch and burned like hell it and work me up. It went away after a few hours and left no trace...I'm thinking this was hives. I think I may have had a reaction to the pillow since I had that arm...but still freaky...

Not sure what this all means... confused still. I want to get on with my dating life already.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 pm 

It takes 2-3 weeks to get herpes WB results back. they might not even be back yet for your provider to discuss them with you. Give them a call back next week and ask if you haven't heard from them by then.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:58 pm 

cansol97,

the positive results were not yours correct? i'm going batty myself. i had a cold sore resembles like one, but doesn't have the same symptoms (i.e. - clear fluid bumps, itchy, etc.) it did burn slightly when i put water on it the first time, but that was about it. wondering if the positive was yours or not. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:26 pm 

Putting water on an open wound is going to give you a slight burn just as if you had a cut on your arm and you poured water over it.

The positive results were mine, from tSTD online. I called my doctor's office and they stated my results were in from my Western Blot and I am just waiting for the doctor to call and give me the results.

I had no known oral outbreaks of HSV. I did have some chapped lips and a crack, but I've had the same type of symptoms many times before (before + results). I suffer from dry lips.

Just today now I had more little lesions on my penis again. About 5 little pinhead bumps (two in one area, three in another), one that did have fluid in it and popped. But zero pain, tingle, itch, etc. I got a similiar looking blister on my arm that popped just like this. I have suffered from weird skin issues all my life.

Since Late Nov now, I had the first one that lasted 7 days, second a week later that lasted a month and then another small outbreak in mid-Feb, another in mid-March and now one in the beginning of April (5 all together since the alleged exposure, to this day the girl denies having herpes). Very confused to what is going on....If not herpes (I'll hopefully find out today) then I am having an allegic reaction (maybe latex) or something. I am going to see a dermatologist this week.

Besides the typical itch, pain, rash, etc that I don't experience, my lesions seem somewhat typical of herpes. But of all the people I've personally spoken with and described my symptoms, they didn't seem to think it was herpes. I could be one of those that have mild symptoms.

I don't know what to tell the new girl I just started seeing. Just my luck...I think we are in love and this very well maybe the one. We have already had the discussion about the future. I am going to wait to see what the doc says and then I will have to spring it on her if I am truly HSV+.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:04 pm 

cansol97,

what i'm concern about is if i get a test in 6 weeks from exposure, i don't want to start having sex and infect others if there is a possibilty i can still be positive. i got a possible cold sore, but if that cold sore came and went, wouldn't i have antibodies in my system and show a positive on the results? or is it that 30 days is too early and you need at least 6 weeks for a good results. if you don't mind, i would love to know your results. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 pm 

30 days isn't too early to get positive results, some people take longer to test positive though. The more time that goes the more confident you can be with results. Some reports I have seen have shown that if someone does have hsv, within 30 days 50% would show a positive result. I have seen reports that stated within a week people show some sort of antibody detection.

My results were for type 1 -4.13 and type 2 - 1.74 which is a low positive (threshold is .9) This was 2 1/2 months post alleged exposure. I got positive results for both on the same test when a month and a half earlier I tested negative for both which was 30 days post exposure. According to nurse, this was very, very odd and a high chance that my low-positive for type 2 was a false positive due to the fact of my recent type 1 positive (the two types are 99% identical and some tests have bleed over). Again, never had any oral symptoms, so I could very well have genital type 1.

As of 8:40, no call from doctor....most likely he is gone for the night so hopefully I will hear something tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:51 am 

well i got my test results back and it was negative for hsv-2. the nurse made a mistake on the hsv-1 by putting vsv-1. i don't know why the tester wouldn't think and try testing for hsv-1 when they were going to test for hsv-2. however, after hearing your case, i am scared that this was a false negative. i don't want to infect others thinking that this result was good to go for me. that is why i am so intrigued by your case. as i have read, sometimes hsv-2 doesn't show any symptoms, but how accruate are these results after 6 weeks of post exposure? so stressed out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next