ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 am 

Are you M or F? age? (You don't have to answer, just trying to better understand your prospective).

If you had no visual signs (i.e. lesions, sores) and 6 weeks post exposure you have negative results, you can feel pretty confident you don't have HSV1 or HSV2.

The problem with tracking HSV 1 and 2 is 1)The absence of verifiable data (e.g. people bend the truth sometimes) 2)The virus only follows patterns and the patterns can vary greatly from person to person. 3)Testing, although accuracy is very high, they aren't always exact. 4)Doctor's current knowledge of the virus. 5)The virus reacts differently per individual.

That is why you here the terms -sometimes, often, low/high risk, probable, most likely, very rare, good chance, etc. Because there are not solid statistics on HSV based on what I mentioned above.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:04 pm 

Well, well well. I had my spots show up again. This time I went to a different doctor at an urgent care facility. He did a examination of the lesions as well as listen/understand my situation. He stated that it is molluscum I am experiencing. He did however state he would do a herpes culture for peace of mind, but believes that my lesions are molluscum and not caused by the herpes virus. Interesting indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:02 pm 

Just got herpes select tests back
type 1 = 3.28
type 2 = 1.28
Feb 10 results where type 1 = 4.13 and type 2 = 1.74

Doctor did a swab on Friday, so I will see what type is going on in the genital area. Just seems weird that I don't experience any of the itch, pain and tingle associated with herpes. I guess I can be thankful for that.

Is there a way to get the Western Blot test done and not go through my provider? How about daily Valtrex?

Could it be that I have type 1 in the genitals then? I have heard that the symptoms of type 1 in the genitals are milder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:12 pm 

it's pretty easy to tell the difference between molluscum and herpes.

no reason for valtrex at this point since odds are this isn't genital herpes going on.

your provider has to order the WB for you.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:43 pm 

Betsy,

Again you are an angel to people on this site and I continue to support via donations to the site and will in the future regardless of my diagnosis.

The doctor wrote on the report "prob molluscum," meaning I assume probably. The doctor did state he said that it didn't look like herpes and did an examination with a strong light and a magnifying glass. I had two blisters that popped with clear fluid which is very typical of herpes., but no itch, pain, tingle; I do feel something down there from time to time, but I guess anyone would feel something if you had blister/lesions on your genitals which are very sensitive.

The recent doctor seemed to not have faith in the tests and felt the results are equivocal in his opinion and knowing the location of where this doctor practices I can assure you he has seen his fair share of herpes cases.

My question is why am I getting low-positive results?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:52 pm 

your + hsv1 can cause low positive hsv2 igg's too.

so did you continue treating for lichens or does that issue seem to be resolved? was this that same dermatologist you were seen at previously?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:02 pm 

I stopped treatment for lichen since the cream he gave me didn't seem to benefit and it cleared.

The doc that told me it was lichen was the original doc that at first thought it to be herpes. He was my primary physican.

The doc I saw on Friday was at a local walk in clinic that I've been to before in the past, ironically he was the doc that treated me for shingles 2 yrs ago. He was much more thorough in his analysis. The clinic is in a large 20s college crowd area, I'm sure he has seen his share of cases.

I never went to a dermatologist about my lichen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:23 am 

well at this point since you've gotten so many different diagnosis's and have a history of skin issues, a dermatologist would be good follow up?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 am 

Indeed it would be. Ironically I have an appt scheduled for this Friday with one. But not sure what they can or can't do because by Friday my current lesions/blisters/spots will be all healed. The best he could do is give an analysis of my situation from me explaining my history.

I trust the second doctor's opinion more then the first simply for the fact that he actually took the time to listen to my sexual history and asked questions and took his time with his visual diagnosis.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 pm 

it's probably not MC then if they heal that quickly.

I can't imagine your frustration at getting so many different opinions like this from providers :(

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:06 pm 

Everything seems to point towards herpes, but lack of typical symptoms such as itch, pain, tingle, etc leads the doctors to believe something else as well as their visual diagnosis. I guess my recent swab will answer that.

If it wasn't for my positive herpes blood test, I would feel confident ruling it out.

Perhaps I am one of those that have have a mild case when it comes to symptoms/side effects of the blisters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm 

Ok...the culture the doctor took came back negative. I had lesions present when he took the sample, can I feel confident it was a good sample? The doctor felt it was, but I hear a lot about false positives coming from cultures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:14 pm 

if they were new lesions then odds are you did have an accurate culture.

following up with the dermatologist at this point is the best thing to do to try to get to the bottom of things.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:40 pm 

OK, went to the dermatologist this morning. He did a biopsy. Ironically my spots from last week healed but this morning I woke up and I saw some red spots forming on my penis so it was good for the doctor to actually see what was going on.

After explaining my situation to him and him viewing my genitals, his initial opinion was that is wasn’t herpes but didn’t rule it out. He, like the other doctors, are perplex that if it was herpes and had visible lesions, why I am not experiencing pain, itch, tingle, etc. The doctor couldn’t explain the zero pain if it was herpes especially after as an adult I experienced shingles and have a reference to how herpes would feel. Results to be done in a week.

The culture the doc took last week felt it was sufficient sample though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:30 pm 

the saga ends...

I have both type 1 and type 2 in the genitals, confirmed with the biopsy. Weird eh? To catch both types I am assuming at the same time or perhaps within a weeks of each other. No clue to as why I never experienced the itch/pain/tingle, but I'm not going to complain. If all I have to deal with is the actual sores and no pain, then I can be thankful for that because I've heard the stories of the pain some people have to endure.

Gratefully, the girl I recently started to date is completely fine with it and just seems to view it as nothing more then a stupid virus living in me. She is head over heels for me as I am for her, so we are hoping this relationship evolves into something bigger. :-)

Besty,

What has been your experience with those who have both types in the genitals? Could it possibly be the reason for no pain?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next