ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: HSV2 vs. HSV1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:24 pm 

It seems that there is so much paranoia over transmitting HSV2 versus HSV1. Does HSV2 live longer on surfaces? Is it stronger, as in if you came into contact with it over HSV1 would it be easier to catch?

I have a young child and am trying to put this in perspective and think that if I could think of it as in terms of moms with cold sores (likely HSV1) sure don't worry about it like I worry about my HSV2 it might help.

Post subject: Re: HSV2 vs. HSV1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm 

The only difference is that hsv2 prefers the genital area and hsv1 prefers the oral area though both can infect either place. Cold sores seem to be more socially acceptable than something you heaven forbid caught through sex. we think nothing of getting "germs" from kissing or even just going to work ( always something "going around" the office ) but for some reason we've put a negative connotation on "germs" that are transmitted most commonly through being naked and sharing body fluids. Makes no sense to me to be honest. Can't turn on the tv, look at a billboard or open up a magazine without being exposed to something sexual but heaven forbid we talk about std's.

ok, getting off my soap box!

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 pm 

Deep sigh of relief. :)

So, really when I worry about whether I have to shower after having sex or touching my clothes after going to the bathroom and feeling like it "lives" on things that I contaminate, I should remind myself that I know women that have HSV1 and worry about none of that and my child is not going to pick it up from me just like their children aren't going to get it from them if they wipe their mouth on their shirt by their shoulder and then pick up their child or touch their mouth and then touch their child? (That was a long sentence). I worry so much about it living on things - me, clothes, showers, etc. But, I have never heard of a person with cold sores worrying about any of that.

So, just to hear it one more time (more smiles!!!), HSV2 is not going to live any longer or be any easier to catch than HSV1?

And, by saying one prefers one site, that doesn't mean that HSV2 is more likely to be contracted genitally, just that it will cause more OBs there than HSV1, right? It doesn't mean that it takes less virus to transmit it, though, right?

I am actually relieved - perhaps thinking of them as the same thing will help relieve my fears!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 am 

no need to shower after sex unless you like to smell better :)

No need to worry about surfaces you touch either. Just washing your hands after you use the bathroom or touch yourself intimately is all it takes precautionwise for non-sexual concerns.

correct - the virus has its preferred areas to infect but it doesn't take less virus to infect those areas or anything.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm 

I have one question on that note... If I go to the bathroom and touch a sore, then turn on the sink, wash my hands, and then turn OFF the sink, aren't I then "recontaminating" my hands?

(See here's an example of something people with cold sores versus GH don't worry about).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:03 pm 

no this isn't an issue.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 am 

Because the lipid layer or whatever would be gone by then?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:58 pm 

because it's just not that easy to transmit herpes that's why :) Really, you wouldn't even have enough active virus on your hand in the first place.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 pm 

I don't worry so much about adults, but do worry about my baby. I assume it takes very little virus to infect her...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:21 am 

this isn't even an issue for a baby :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]