ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:15 am 

hey betsy...my story as follows: first time i had symptoms was in 2007, red spot on penis which was little raised, sensitive to touch but not that painful. it dissappeared in few days. it kept on reappearing mostly after masterbation or sex, usually the next morning but the redness was not raised but sensitive to touch. im uncircumsiced and i keep good hygiene. so uncleanliness was not the issue. when the doctor first saw the redness, he said it was herpes. he did the blood tests and culture, both came negative. he advised me to repeat tests in few months. it got repeated in 6 months. blood tests still came negative. he then concluded that it might not be herpes. but the symptoms persisted with redness and sensitive to touch. i was still scared. changed the doctor and repeated tests 3rd time. came out negative. symptoms still persisted and changed to 4 doctors. when they saw the redness, it wasn't that prominent but they ordered tests anyways and they all came out negative. other doctors thought it might not be herpes but tests tend to give false negative results. the redness usually appears after masterbation now in the next morning or so. the last test results included igg negative and igm 2.4 which doctor thought is not reliable to conclude if its herpes. im really confused since its been 2 1/2 years. i wasn't sexually active since 3 months before the first symptoms. now, i am hesistating to get into relationships because of this and its been affecting my daily life since then. please help me with some advice that can help me solve this mystery. anybody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 am 

It's very unlikely that this is due to herpes. you've had multiple negative tests now. your symptoms don't really sound like herpes either. at this point follow up on it with a dermatologist.

do you use a good lube when you masturbate?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:35 am 

no, i don't use lubricant. but my concern is that when the first symptoms that appeared, the doctor confidently said it is herpes (the red spot was little raised) but after several tests and looking at the redness (the redness was not as raised), he concluded it might be something else. im concerned that the 1st symptoms appeared out of nowhere and they keep on appearing every now and then, and sometimes the redness is prominent (sensitive to touch) and the other times it is mild. i dont know what to conclude.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 am 

Visual diagnosis of herpes is wrong 1/3 of the time even in practitioners who see herpes regularly. You've had follow up tests that show that this wasn't herpes going on.

definitely start using lube!!! If you aren't kind to the lil guy he won't be happy!!!! Use a good lube too, not shower gel or hand lotion.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 am 

betsy, with your responses, things are making sense. but when i went to the dermatologist, he also said it might not be something to worry about. still symptoms persist. and believe me, its not because of vigorous masturbation. i just can't figure it out. i got tired of asking doctors. on the other hand, the first doctor told me redness could be formation of very small vesicles and also said herpes mostly comes out negative in the blood tests. they are not giving me a definite answer and thats whats making me more confused. i dont know if i could go see a urologist or dermatologist. i am sorry to bother you over and over again but i am hoping to get rid of my confusion on this blog.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:32 am 

I'd continue to follow up with the dermatologist at this point.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 am 

thank you for your responses, definetly helpful

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]