ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:34 pm 

Betsy....seems like I cant get away from this. I had two tests and both were negative and I was on a path of healing my anxiety when this happens. My 5 yo daughter has a cold sore on her lower lip and I'm in a panic on what to do to help her. Is there anything I can do for her, shes my little princess and to see her with her lip all swollen is killing me? I cant help thinking that my last test was a false negative or my ex wife is positive. I guess the only thing at this point is, what should I do to keep her from spreading it to other areas of her body and to her 3 yo sister. Is there anything that a trip to the Dr. would help with? Shes so young and doesnt understand what it really is.

Thanks...Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:12 am 

typically doctor's don't do anything unless it's extensive on the face or interfering in eating. She can hold ice cubes to it periodically to decrease swelling and for pain relief. tylenol for pain relief. if you have any doubts that this is a cold sore and think it could be something else then by all means give her regular doctor a call about it all. typically children her age don't tolerate some of the otc cold sore treatments with pain relievers in them ( they can sting ) and they tend to lick their lips too often to use some of the other products out there topically.

nothing really to do except for she's old enough to teach her that if she has cold sores ( or call them a lip booboo even at her age if you want but she should start hearing the word cold sore or fever blister ) she shouldn't share drinks or kiss anyone until it's healed. she's not likely to transmit it to other body parts or even her lil sis. If you are a kissy kissy family, make a game out of "hollywood" kisses - overly exagerated air kisses with lots of noise :)

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:49 pm 

Betsy. Just wanted to get your input on this. My daughter whos 5 had a cold sore about a month ago which only lasted 2 days. In the last two weeks she's had a low fever 99-101 and aching bones as she says. My ex took her to the Dr. last week and they tested her for Lymes Disease which came back negative but showed her white cells were a bit elevated. Do you think there is any possible way there could be a connection between the cold sore and the symptoms that followed? Also, is possible that a cold sore can only last two days? I'm starting to think I should get tested for ALL std's....maybe I do have something and i've passed it on to her....especially since my HSV 1 and 2 came back negative and we have shared an ice cream and drank out of the same cup. thanks for your help on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:51 pm 

you didn't give your daughter a std.

Plenty of germs out there this time of the year that can make a white count elevated.

Continue to follow up on things with her doctor as needed.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]