ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 pm 

Hi,

My boyfriend and I both have genital HSV-1. I contracted it from a previous partner who had a cold sore, and I gave it to my boyfriend during my second outbreak ever--which I didn't recognize to be an outbreak until it was too late (it's been about a year and a half that I've had it).

We're now trying to figure out what, if any, precautions we need to take during sex. He is really worried that having sex without a condom will cause more outbreaks between us. From what I've read, that is unlikely, but then again, so is passing HSV1 genital to genital.

Also, in terms of oral sex, is it necessary to use dental dams, etc, in order to prevent transmitting the HSV to our mouths? He is unsure if he also contracted it orally (he had what seemed like canker sores on his tongue and one red bump below his lip on the crease of his chin, but never got it checked out). I have never had any indication of a cold sore that I'm aware of (I do get canker sores when I'm stressed but I've never had anything on my lips). So, the main question--what are the odds of transmission to the mouth?

I'm sorry this turned out to be so long. Unfortunately we now realize that we were not as educated as we should have been before he got it and just want to make sure we're taking all of the necessary precautions now.

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:17 pm 

you've come to the right place to ask your questions !

no, you won't ping pong the virus back and forth. You both have it now and it's no longer an issue except for comfort reasons. if you have an ob in a location that would make sex uncomfortable, don't have sex until it's gone. since it's hsv1 genitally, recurrences should be few and far between.

about 10% of all hsv1 genital infections are due to genital to genital contact. Having sex with active symptoms or when the virus is actively shedding with a hsv1 negative partner is n increased risk for transmission in that manner.

as far as worrying about hsv1 orally at this point, from what studies we do have ( only a few for this ), anywhere from 1/4 - 2/3's of folks who contract hsv1 genitally also get it orally around the same time. Most folks who get hsv1 genitally don't get obvious cold sores to know it. unless you get obvious cold sores, no easy ( or cheap ) way to figure out if you already have it orally or not. if you don't, you have protection now from getting it orally since you have it genitally. In other words, no need to worry about getting it orally at this point. Just don't perform oral on active genital lesions for many reasons.

keep asking questions as you have them :)

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 pm 

Hi Betsy,

Thanks so much for getting back to me, that makes me feel better.

I have another question regarding birth control and OBs. When I first contracted HSV, I was on birth control (and have been on some kind of pill for the last 7 years). I was on Microgestin FE when I got HSV, was switched to Junel when they discontinued Microgestin in early fall, and only went off of it 2 months ago because I had forgotten it when I went away one weekend.

At that point, I decided that I might try the Depo shot so as to avoid that situation of forgetting again. I talked to my doctor and she never mentioned anything about it's affects on herpes, but in my research I stumbled upon information that Depo has been shown to cause more outbreaks. With further reasearch, I've read that other birth control pills have done the same thing. However, I've also read that periods can bring on outbreaks (and when I was on microgestin, I stopped getting my period regularly).

As I said, I was on birth control for more than a year with HSV and never had a problem (I had the flu and pneumonia and was on antibiotics when I got my outbreak, so it really took a lot for me to have one). However, I am worried about what kind of birth control, if any, I should go back on. Microgestin has been discontinued and I was on Junel for 2 months before I went off of it, but I didn't like it.

Do you have any recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:53 am 

Birth control pills cause more shedding of hsv2. I don't believe it caused more shedding of hsv1. That said, it's not a huge increase in shedding. Honestly with hsv1 and especially in the situation you are in now, I wouldn't worry about it.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 am 

Thanks Betsy, that's good to know.

Just to clarify, is it the same deal with the Depo shot as with the Pill, causing an increase in shedding in Type 2?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 pm 

It's been a long time since I read the study. I know it was hormonal birth control but I don't recall specifically if they looked at depo too or just oral contraceptives.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:34 pm 

Hi Betsy,

This should probably be a new subject but I thought it would be easiest to keep it all in the same thread for reference.

A few months ago, my boyfriend got HSV from me. When I had originally gotten it, my culture tested positive for HSV-1 and my blood tests were negative. When I had my next outbreak, which was a year and a half later and the one that my boyfriend got it from, I had another culture, and the results came back for type 2. I was confused by the conflicting results, so I had another blood tests, which came back positive for Type-1 but negative for Type 2. I chalked it up to a lab error in the 2nd culture.

My boyfriend only had blood tests, as his sores were unable to be cultured by the time he went to the doctor--his first results were negative for both, his second were positive for type 1 only.

(in the meantime I also contacted the guy I got it from and confirmed that he indeed had type 1 and not type 2)

Well, after taking 5 weeks for my boyfriend to heal from his initial outbreak, he woke up this morning with another outbreak (just 4 weeks later), and now he is convinced that it is type 2 after all. He's been under a lot of emotional stress lately and doesn't sleep well, so I'm convinced that is why he's having an outbreak so soon. He's going to get cultured today, but I was just wondering if you had any insight while we wait for the results.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:22 pm 

no wonder you are confused - I would be too!

At this point I"d be inclined to say that the 2nd culture was typed wrong. if you really need peace of mind, I'd get a herpes WB blood test at some point.

It's not unusual for your bf to be getting a 2nd ob this soon. It does happen. Does he have antivirals there to take? If not he should call his provider to call him in prescription to pick up.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]