ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm 

Hi new to the board here - the most informitive web site so far!! Quick question, my daughter has been diagnosed w/genital herpes-we're still waiting on details i.e. HSV 1 or 2. How at risk is rest of my family? Another daughter of mine just had her wisdon teeth out (open wounds in her mouth) and she drank out of a cup used my first daughter. The glass sat in fridge all nite before she drank out of it so is virus dead at that point? Also, as family members we sometimes eat of others plate-should this stop? I keep reading sexual contact genital to genital contact but we're looking for answers here on this forum. Thanks for your help!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:27 pm 

genital herpes is transmitted through direct skin on skin contact with the genital area. it is absolutely not something anyone in your household is going to get from routine day to day contact! you don't have to change a thing as a family because of this.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 pm 

Thx Betsy!! Feeling better already :D If Dr. put her on valtrex, this would mean HSV 2?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:42 pm 

you treat both types the same.

what testing did she has done?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:41 pm 

She just got her results. She's hsv 1 & 2. What are the transmission precautions she and our family need to take?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm 

can you get her blood test results to post here for me to look at? All I need are the actual numeric values - ie hsv1 igg 4.4 and hsv2 igg 3.4.

did she have a lesion culture that was typed too?

Has her partner been tested yet?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:14 pm 

She has now left for school so I probably can't get you her exact blood specifics. Any chance you can give me the broad strokes? PS - she hasn't had a partner in over 3 months and at this point is nervous about even having a partner;(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:15 pm 

Also, she's never had a cold sore - not sure if this is revelant? Thanks Betsy for all your help!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 pm 

ok sorry - last post - I promise! Her doc told her genital herpes only transmitted direct skin to skin contact (as you also stated) and that if she's on valtrex her partner has low risk of getting it while using condoms. hsv1 is only transmitted during a coldsore breakout so no sharing glasses, kissing etc during breakout but if there's no breakout, she's not contagious. Are these facts true?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:09 pm 

How long after all of this did she have her blood test done?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:27 pm 

not sure as she isn't sure when she contracted it. But her blood work was in fact positive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:27 pm 

well it's still best if you I can get a look at her blood testing to find out if she needs more testing done or not. There is a false positive issue with the hsv2 testing so it's helpful to rule that out.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]