ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 am 

I have HSV1, and so far it only appears on my lips (rarely now, yay!) and are now moving to the inside of my nose.

I am turning into a hypochondriac about my HSV1! I NEVER worried about this! I've had HSV1 for at least 10+ years and this past year was horrible. Stressing so much about it I get a lump in my throat from anxiety.

I fear that I'll spread it everywhere! Mostly on my own body!

For example:(No sore, no prodromes) I have my hand resting on my chin and maybe touch my mouth, then if I touch my elbow just a few seconds later I freak out I'm going to transfer it to my elbow. So to get any kind of peace of mind I have to wash that elbow immediatly.

Or... Lets take today for instance. I just got out of the shower. After I flossed and brushed my teeth (no prodromes, no sore) my hand went to scratch my butt, I freaked out and had to hop in the shower again to wash my butt cause I was afraid of infecting that area with HSV1.

I can't tell you how many times I've washed elbows, hands, genitals and once even my knees because I was afraid of transfer.

You would think, especially after ten+ years of not worrying about this, I could just calm down and know its not going to happen (I cant remember how many times in those tens years I masturbated with my saliva or touched open cuts on my body without washing my hands). But for some reason I can't stop thinking about it and worrying about spreading HSV1 all over my body.

I'm telling you this because I hope to get peace of mind. Perhaps the clinic I went to misinformed me about how catchy it is on my own body and that's why I'm freaking out? I remember them telling me that I shouldn't touch anywhere on my body after I touched my mouth because even if I don't have a sore I may catch it elsewhere.

Perhap's I'm just misinformed on the virus in general and am freaking out because I think it's worse than it really is?

I've read around the internet that after having HSV1 for a long period (ive had it it 10+ years) that your anti-bodies you build up make it impossible to transer elsehwere on your body? This would seem to hold true because the past decade I've been fine no matter where my mouth or hands touched after touching my mouth, but ~shrugs~

Any peace of mind? Is there a way for me to just calm down and accept the fact that it's not as bad as I think it is?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 pm 

This is really starting to get into abnormal behavior territory at this point. have you considered talking to a professional about this?

You don't have to worry much at all about your hsv1 going anywhere else. There was absolutely no reason to panic and jump back in the shower. that's not risk enough even if you were actively shedding the virus.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:59 pm 

Truthfully, I have thought about seeing someone, just trying to figure out where the money would come from ;) But it is something I have been thinking about. I know this is not normal, and I recognize that. I have no idea how to stop it though!

Peace of mind helps :) Your answers help :) Then after a while I kinda start freaking out again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]