ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:55 am 

Background history

In early novemeber me and my fiance had oral and vaginal sex. A couple of days after that..i started itching around the vagina area and went to PPH and they did a well woman exam and did a pap test and i didnt have yeast and bacteria infection. i tried over the counter cream and it helped. But end of november it started itching again..not too bad but jsut uncomfortable..so this time went to a clinic and she did a wet mount test and also checked for Gon adn Chlam ( which was negative) adn told me i had Bacterial Vaginosis and gave me anti boitics..it cleared up and everything was fine...couple of weeks later...i had itching again..so this time i got very concerened about what is going on..so i went this past weekend and got checked for the common STD's at Any Lab Test Now... I have never got std testing done before and this was my first time...

My results came back today and it says i am positive for HSV-1 i am so confused and scared as to how and where did this come from..I am with the same guy for two years...Although i had sex with someone without protection in march of 2008..could it be fromt that? and i just didnt know becuase i have never been tested for it..
I dont have any symtoms of herpes sores, blisters or anything..i shave down there so i know its normal to get razor burns and bumps and stufff..i am asumming that herpes blister/pimple would look different.

Company was: Any Lap Test Now
My results:
HSV 1/2 IGG HERPESELECT
Type Specific AB

HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB > 5.00H index

HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB <0.90 index

index
1.10 Positive

This assay is type specific and will differentiate between HSV-1 and HSV-2 infections. A single positive result only indicates previous immunologic exposure and the level of antibody response may not be used to determine active infection or disease state. The test should be repeated in 4-6 weeks when negative or equivocal results are obtained in suspected herpes simplex disease.

Please explain to me what all this means. My fiance has tested for everything and he came back negative. Does this have anything to do with the issues i have with the vaginal itching..which is not bad just sometimes uncomfortable..Since i found this out today..i have been going crazy..i have checked myself out completley in my face and genitals to se if i feel anything sores or anything..but i dont have anything and i dont even remember getting a cold sore type stuff..sorry for the long message but i am really scared and worried..should i repeat the test? and if so, should i go back to the same place and just get this one done or redo everythiing?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:37 pm 

Most adults have hsv1 orally. It's incredibly common. You were seen several times and no one saw any signs of genital herpes so at this point you have no reason to think that your hsv1 is genital.

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_le ... herpes.cfm has terrific info on oral hsv1 for more reading.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm 

so is it possible for me to have it and not have given it to my fiance..we have had unprotected sex and oral..i just want to make sure i dont give it to him as he came up negative now...also, does my HSV 1 + mean that i currently have it or that i had it..becuase the note after the test result has me confused..is it normal not to have any symptoms?? and is it related to the vaginal itching that i have?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 pm 

fyi - I'm also gracefromhhp on medhelp. I didn't answer your post there because I had already answered it here.

You have no reason to think this is related to your genital issues.

Yes you could be with someone for a lifetime and not transmit your hsv1 to them. Discuss with him if you two want to have protected oral sex or not - it's totally up to the two of you.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:55 pm 

one last question..what does the statement under the results for HSV1 mean..it says its not an indication of active but a prior infection that i didnt know of? am i correct or no? also it says to retest..should i? and if so at the same place and the same type of test or different?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:52 pm 

no you don't have to retest. Yes your hsv1 igg means you've had it for at least a couple of weeks though it could've been months or many, many years. No way to tell from the blood tests.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]