ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: We've both got it
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:34 pm 

Hi, Still trying to sort out all the information, glad there is so much here.

So, I am HSV2+ known it for a fact for over 20 years. New partner now. Have had protected sex and I have been on suppressive therapy during our relationship. He finally got tested and comes up HSV2+ too. I know there is no 100% sure way that he SOME HOW didn't get it from me, despite all our best efforts, condoms and supressive therapy and no oral. I also know it is possible he is one of the 80% who has had it for years and been totally unaware he did.

Couple questions: Is it important for him to have a second test in case he got exposed from me? The test was type specific and said HSV2+. Is it possible he was just exposed and may not really "have" it? Or is HSV2+ the final word?

If he is HSV2+ and I am HSV2+ then we cannot infect each other, is that correct? So, condoms do not need to be the birth control of forced choice. From what I understand we can't even infect new areas of each other, correct?

If we are both HSV2+ can we have barrier free oral sex? From what I understand we cannot infect each other orally either?

Thanks for any answers on this.

lov

Post subject: Re: We've both got it
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:58 pm 

He should call his provider and ask them to call the lab they use to see if there are numeric results for his hsv2+ result. If he had a biokit hsv2 test done or a herpes western blot, he will only get a + or a - so he'll need to find out what testing he had done. Some labs just report as + or - instead of listing actual numeric results. Once he gets that info, I can help you two see if he needs additional testing done to confirm his status before you stop the precautions you've been taking together.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 pm 

Will do, thanks.

lov

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:41 pm 

Hi Betsy,

So this is what the Planned Parenthood nurse told him:
Their testing process does not use the count/numeric test. When there are antibodies present in the blood, resulting in a positive reading, you've contracted the virus. With their testing, "a positive is a positive".
So, is that the "real deal?"

lov

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:56 pm 

He needs to find out which test they are using - biokit, herpeselect rapid hsv2 test, wb or just what. Odds are it's not a wb but ask just in case.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 pm 

Hi Betsy, So, more info. about the test he had.

PPH testing is done through Converge Diagnostics. They use ( CervistaTM (Hologic) ) and (Cytyc ThinPrep or TriPath SurePath)

Does that info. help? Does it give you any indication of his status and what kind of precautions we need to take (see previous post)?

Thanks for any further insight.

lov

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:24 am 

the tests you listed are just the pap tests that they offer.

I couldn't find what herpes testing they offer on their website.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:58 pm 

So, originally the PPH nurse said there were no numeric values to the test they use for HSV. He called the lab and they told him it was an IGg test. I had the same test done and when I got the results it said HSV2+ (range+) or something like that. I knew I was positive, but there was nothing under "range."

So, does this sound like the answer it was an IGg or is there still a name, like Western Blot, or something, that we are looking for?

It shouldn't be this hard to get info. about yourself from a provider!

I'm still confused!
lov

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:14 am 

The lab is not going to give him the specific numeric results. He'll need to ask pp to call and get them. They will only release that info to the provider. Many labs will get numeric results but only report to the clinic as + or -. He can try calling the lab again to ask if that is their method or not if that's easier than calling pp again about this.

He might want to just consider repeating his hsv blood testing at this point if it's easier. If you live in the US, www.tstd.org and www.healthcheckusa.com will both test for hsv igg for around $100. You can also specifically ask for just hsv2 igg testing to save a few bucks if you call their toll free numbers.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:09 am 

Hi Betsy,

Okay, so this is the latest bit of information. Seems he was able to call the lab directly. (a little scary that they would give this info. to a calller - but then again how do they know who they are really talking to if the person says they are a Dr. unless they have a clinic code or something?) Gave them his name and identifying info. and they gave him these numbers to go with his IGg.

TYPE 1 3.29
TYPE 2 5.00

Does this help?

lov

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:54 am 

yes that helps a lot!

He is hsv1 and hsv2+. His hsv2 is high enough that it's not worth any further testing. A headache to get the info I know but well worth it!

So since you've both got hsv2, it's not an issue in the relationship. As for oral sex, just don't perform oral on obvious lesions and it shouldn't be an issue. if he's never been tested before this, no way to know if he had hsv2 all along and never knew it or contracted it from you at some point in your relationship.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:23 pm 

Thanks for the follow up, Besty. It is good to know how to proceed.

lov

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]