ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 am 

Hello,

I am new to the board, and very happy there is a place like this out there!

I know I need to see my doc, and I am going tomorrow, but in the mean time, I am agonizing over what I have done. I had sex with a guy on Sunday night, that I do not know that well. We used a condom, so I thought it would be ok. Then Tuesday I noticed a dark red/brownish spot on the outside of my vagina. There is no redness around it and it doesn't hurt, and I don't have any other symptoms. But I am very worried and have convinced myself this is herpes. I've had a scare before and it turned out to be ingrown hairs, but this doesn't look anything like that so I am worried. After that I tested negative, so I know that if this is it, it was from the man I slept with over the weekend.

Does this sound like what anyone else had? I always thought outbreaks would be more severe than this. And I thought a condom was safe?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:59 pm 

Going to be seen is the best thing to do. it really doesn't sound like herpes but cover your bases.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:44 pm 

Thanks. That gives me some hope, but I'm still agonizing over what I've done. Will definitely be looking forward to talking with the doctor tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, what else could cause a little red bump in such a private area?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:20 am 

ingrown hairs, allergies, contact dermatitis, bacterial infections, fungal infections etc.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:36 pm 

Well, thanks for your advice. I saw my doctor yesterday and she took one look and said no, it's not herpes. She said it looked like a blister or irritation caused from friction. I will say that was quite a relief. I think she thought I was still skeptical, though, and said if it made me feel better I could come back and she'd do a full run of tests. I have heard stories of misdiagnosis. Does that really happen all that often?

I feel really silly that I got good news and I'm still a little questionable. just doesn't seem like something you would want to play around with, you know?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:43 pm 

Well odds are that you've never been tested for herpes before so why not cover your bases and in a few months, get a type specific herpes igg blood test just so you have a baseline for the future?

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:48 pm 

I have been tested before, and was negative. This is the first time Ive slept with someone since then, so chances are I'm still negative. But I usually get a full STD screen done every year, so I'll probably do the same this year.

I always tend to think I'm being a over paranoid, and my friends tell me so. But I guess I figure you can't be too careful.

I had never heard of getting a blister from friction before, but my doc said she's seen it more than a few times?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:40 pm 

FYI-
Unless you SPECIFICALLY request to be tested for Herpes, it is not autmatically done. One PA I complained to about that said she won't do it unless there is an active outbreak or lesion, because all testing for Herpes does is tell you whether/not you have it.
So- MAKE SURE TO ASK FOR HERPES TESTING, the IgG (or is it IGg?) test, not the other one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:50 pm 

Yes, I was surprised to find that out, too. But the past few years I get a herepes test done when I get my yearly bloodwork done. My doc did say not many people specifically ask for it, but after being scared once, I figure you might as well check. The extra money is worth my piece of mind!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:15 pm 

the skin in our genital area is very delicate and many things can cause issues down yonder. Even though it might seem like you have plenty of natural lube, sometimes using a commercial lube is also helpful. Doesn't take much to literally rub us the wrong way down yonder.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]