ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:40 pm 

Hey Betsy...it's me again! My daughter who had the cold sore a few weeks ago and has been the focus of my stress for the past month or so has just been diagnosed with the Epstein Barr Virus. Can you help clarify this diagnosis. The Dr. said the EBV is in the same family as the Herpes Virus and the research I did shows its in the HSV 4 classification???? I'm going to get tested tomorrow and will get my daughters actual IGG and IGM test numbers. Could one have the same type of symptoms with ESV as with HSV? If this is not your area of focus and are not able to help...can you tell me which board to post on to get the proper guidance. The Dr. for my daughter is not very concerned about it and doesnt seem to feel there any need for concern at this point. She said that the levels are very high and she feels that due to the high numbers its a recent infection. Now, after talking with you for almost a year I've learned that the high numbers are NOT an indication of a recent infection when it comes to HSV anyway. Any input you have on this will be appreciated!!! Thanks...youre a valuable source of information!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:26 pm 

really no reason for you to get tested. odds are both you and her mother have it. By the time we reach our 40's, even more of us have ebv than have hsv1. It is a herpes virus because like other herpes viruses, it can periodically reactivate and actively shed the virus.

hsv4 isn't a classification. it's just that there's 8 human herpes viruses and ebv is #4 on the list. Being number 4 means nothing. Think of it as being house #4 on herpes road.

I'm guessing her igm for ebv is +. I'm not as familiar with the igg/igm testing stats for ebv as I am with hsv but I'd like to assume that they are better since the igm is used a lot with ebv. ebv is the virus most frequently associated with mono. Not everyone who gets ebv has full blown mono though ( hope that makes sense ). Explains too why most of us get it and have no idea we have had it though obviously we all know at least 1 person who had mono at some point. Most us have have no idea when we have ebv and when we don't - mom and dad typically just say we are sick again with whatever is going around and never take us for testing.

Overall ebv isn't an issue for kids. Like any other virus it just has to run its course. It can have complications but thankfully they are few and far between. If her doctor isn't concerned about her current health status, no reason to be overly concerned either to be honest. just keep giving her tylenol when she has a fever or feels achy and make sure she's getting plenty of fluids to drink. We don't even treat ebv - we just let it run its course.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 pm 

Thanks Betsy. I do understand about the EBV not being actual mono. The Dr. said the same thing. She said she probably had mono at some point because of her symptoms and is now on the down side and just needs to continue to fight the virus. The Dr. recommended that I get tested because I've been fighting a sore throat for almost a month....I talked with you about this same issue before. I keep getting what I feel like are blisters in my throat going into my lungs. I swore that it was HSV since I performed oral on a chick...morally bankrupt....and swear I had HSV in my throat (both HSV 1 and 2 showed negative on the Herpeselect test). The Dr. is saying that I may have mono and will continue to pass it back and forth with my daughter if were not both tested as well as my ex being tested. What baffles my mind is that my 3 yo daughter hasnt gotten it and she was sharing cups and spoons with my oldest. Thanks again for a well versed and readers digest version of what EBV is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:43 am 

you won't pass ebv back and forth. once you have it, you have it.

lots of illness going around right now. all sorts of whacky things. Of course we call it job security ;)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]