ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: confusing test results
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm 

Went to planned Parenthood to get tested for HSV because I had sores, clinician visually said it looked like Herpes, but test for both HSV 1 & 2 came back negative. The nurse said the results were 99% accurate. I hadn't reached the two week period where the test could have missed the anitbodies had I only recently contracted it. That was a couple months ago and I know need to go back and get tested again.

My question is though, 1. is there *anything* else it can be? I don't have insurance or much money to keep getting tested if the results are just going to continue to be ambiguous.

There were several red bumps that burned when I peed and took a couple weeks to go away. I have yeast infections pretty much all the time, sometimes to the point where it is so raw it stings but that was different. They haven't come back since except symptoms that feel like they could be a very bad yeast infection.

2. How do yeast infections and HSV impact each other?

3.. How can you tell if your results say HSV1+ that it isn't just cold sores? If you come up posative for either one, how do you know if it's HSV2 in your mouth or HSV1 in your genitals? Or vice versa, unless you'd gotten outbreaks?

This stuff is so confusing and everything I read or hear from a doctor contradicts everything else I read or hear from a doctor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 am 

So they didn't do an actual lesion culture on your symptoms?

did they also test you for yeast and bacterial infections while you were there? I'm going to assume you are female?

At this point, I recommend getting the follow up blood test and seeing what it shows. if it's hsv negative then you know you can cross hsv off the list of things that could've caused it. If it's just hsv1+ then the best you can do is wait and if you get a return of symptoms, be seen again for a lesion culture and typing.

Have you tried taking diflucan every week for a few months to see if you can stop your yeast issues? ( it's prescription ) Also have you ever tried fem dophilus by jarrow? it's a probiotic that helps decrease vaginitis . the strains in it have good research behind them showing that they really do work.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:15 pm 

Yes, I'm female.

The clinician recommended a blood test, I don't know why she didn't do a culture. At the time there was only one or two sores, and then a couple days later more came along.

I've taken diflucan before and have tried acidophilus, both with marginal results. I haven't tried the fem dophilus but I'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion. I think my body is just really sensitive to sugar. If I do have herpes, how does it interact with a yeast infection?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm 

most acidophilus supplements don't contain strains that colonize anything other than the bowels. Keeping your bowel flora healthy is a good idea too but it doesn't do any good for urogenital health. femdophilus contains strains that research has found does survive digestion and colonizes the urogenital tract consistently.

studies have found that yeast doesn't really have much effect on genital herpes though certainly some women do find that vaginitis flare ups will trigger herpes recurrences.

be sure to wait 3 or 4 months after the last time you had sex prior to symptoms.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]