ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: HSV1 low positive
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 pm 

Dear Abby,

I am 48 years old male and recently did full STD tests and got postive for HSV1

Herpes Simplex 1

Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Types I and II Specific Antibodies, IgG
HSV1 IgG Antibody 1.39 H POSITIVE

Herpes Simplex 2

Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Types I and II Specific Antibodies, IgG
HSV2 IgG Antibody <0.90 NEGATIVE

All other tests including HIV are negative.

My last exposure was during Nov 2008 (more than 13 months). I may have got the HSV1 from working women as I did french kissing and unprotected oral sex (mutual). I did not had symptoms till Sep 2009. I got 3 to 4 pimples/cluster like blisters on my right side cheek and it took around 3 months disappear. It looked exactly like cold sores. I do not have cold sores or blisters inside my mouth, on the lips or nose and genitial area. Now I am getting sores like pimples and bumps on my face (cheeks, forehead, near to eyes) frequently (3 to 4 at a time in different places on my face except nose, ears and lips). It takes few days to go away. The bumps are raised skin without any fluids and sores looks like pimples. I did not applied any creams during my first break and left it without taking any medicines as I was not aware that it was due to HSV1. The bumps or cold sores were not painful. Also I got a swollen reddish bump ( size like penny) near to my groin area during the same period. It also took around 2+ months to disappear. I do not have bumps or sores on my genetials.

As I am getting the sores (not painful and looks like pimple) on my face frequently, I took the complete STD test recently.

I have the following questions:

1) The above symptoms are only because of HSV1 or may be due to some other skin problem?

2) HSV2 < .90 NEGATIVE. Is it possible for this number to increase and develop HSV2 ? I will not go out for sex in future and my last exposure was during Nov 2008.

3) HSV1 1.39H POSITIVE. Is it possible for this number to increase in future ?

4) My gf tests are negative for all the tests. Do I need to use condoms and avoid kissing with her?

4) Except for the swollen red bump (painless) near my groin, there are no other symptoms on my genetials or inner thighs. Do I have both oral and genetial herpes?

Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: HSV1 low positive
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:49 am 

have you followed up on your facial symptoms at all with a dermatologist?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:59 am 

I have only one pimple now on my cheek. That is also healing now. Once I get the symptoms back, I would like to schedule an appointment with my Doctor. AM I correct or I should schedule the visit now? Also please answer my doubts as I am confused. Thank you very much for your time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:55 am 

cold sores aren't going to linger for 3 months. follow up on all of this with a dermatologist when you have time to try to figure out what is going on. It's best to be seen when you have actual symptoms though sometimes getting in in a timely manner isn't easy if you aren't already an established patient :(

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:03 pm 

Betsy, thanks and I will schedule an appointment at the earliest.

HSV2 < .90 NEGATIVE. Do I need to worry about this number? Is it possible for this number go up?

Thank you for your time once again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 pm 

your hsv2 is negative and unless you've had new partners recently who's status you aren't aware of, no need to worry.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 pm 

Thanks Betsy. I do not have new partners for the last 13 months. My GF results are negative for all the tests. My only worry is my recent test HSV1 positive. I do not want to transfer this to my GF. I am trying all precautions and hope God will help me.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 am 

Hi San601,

I was exposed to HSV-1 confirmed by culture but have been negative on blood test for 11 months.
I am a male who only rcvd oral sex from a female.
My question is...

Did you confirm negative for about a yr or did you just not take a test at all?

Any other symptoms such as itching or changed pigmentation on penis?

Do you also allow ur gf for oral sex? I hate to give it to anyone especially to my girlfriend, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:25 pm 

My last exposure with working women was during Nov 2008. I did not had any symptoms till Sep 2009. I got cold sores on my right side cheek and I did not applied any medicine or took any tablets. I thought it was due to heat and it took around 2+ months to disappear. Again I got sores on my face (like pimples) and I applied the over the counter ointment. As It repeatedly came I took blood test during Jan 2010. I got HSV1 low positive result.

I do not have itching or any changes on my penis or testicles or inner thighs or on my buttocks. I got a red swollen bump on my upper thigh during Sep 2009 and it disappeared after two months. I did not applied any medicine or took any medicine orally. There are no symptoms near to my genitial area. For my sores on my face, I need to consult a dermatologist. Right now all my pimples are disappeared after applying the hydro... 1% cream. Once I get it back, I would like to show it to my doctor.

I do not have oral sex with my gf (both give and take) and avoid french kissing. I use condom for time being.

I am confused about the HSV-1 positive results and reading materials to educate myself. I will take one more blood test after consulting with dermatologist.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:26 am 

Thanks for ur opinion. I am very similar to your case.
Rcvd oral sex from a female (not prostitute) who has hsv-1 without symptoms in Nov 2008. They call it assymptomatic shedding.
Anways, i got little blisters, cultured, came out positive hsv-1.

Blood test done for hsv-1&2. Last one done on Oct. 2009. Blood test came out negative.

I am planning on retaking it soon. I am so confused and doctors have no clue why I have negative result after a year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 pm 

stdstudent....we already discussed your negative blood test back in the fall in the hpv forum where you mistakenly posted it. You know you have hsv1 genitally from the culture. there isn't any need for any further blood testing for you. The fact that your blood test is negative is due to the blood tests not being as accurate at picking up hsv1 infections as they are hsv2.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 am 

That is why I am confused in the tests :)

Betsy, is it possible to take culture test eventhough I do not have symptoms on my genetials or any cold sores on my face?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:03 am 

you'd have to have active symptoms in order for the culture to be of any use.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:19 pm 

Hello Betsy,

10 days back I got the pimple like bumps/sores on my face and yesterday I got dermatologist appointment. He checked and told me that it did not look like herpes and asked me to come after 15 days for biopsy. Long wait :(

He told me that it may be due to viral infection that I got it from someone. If it is not herpes, what are the other possibilities considering my blood test came negative for STD test except for HSV1.

He did not gave me any tablets or oinment for the bumps. He was running here and there attending patients and I could not ask questions as he was rushing to complete my appointment.

Sorry for asking you this question and I understand it is difficult to guess for you without seeing me. I posted this question as I have to wait for another 15 days for biopsy and do not know how many more days it will take to get the results and next appointment.

Thanks for your time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:31 pm 

you tested + for hsv1 just like 60% of everyone else your age does. just because you have hsv1, doesn't mean that everything in the facial area is due to it.

as we discussed previously, your symptoms do not sound like they are hsv1 related. You've now been seen when you have them and the dermatologist didn't feel that herpes was the cause either.

I know it's hard but at this point, waiting for your results and follow up on them is the best you can do.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next