ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:42 am 

Hi. I recently (yesterday) received a "low positive" result on a HerpesSelect test of 1.19 for HSV-2. Other than being extraordinarily embarrased, scared, and now a bit sleep deprived as it hasn't really sunk in, I have been doing as much research as I can on my own, but have a few more questions.

1) One source told me to get retested, as that figure is very close to the "equivocal" 1.1 result. Is it true that this could be a false positive? I have never had an any outbreak/symptoms, or recent exposure, though I do know that is not necessary to have the virus. If so, what would you reccomend as a second test? I read your "test guide" but I just want a FOR SURE answer, and there is no "this test is better" in that guide.

2) If I havn't had my initial outbreak yet, should I still be on suppressive therapy so that it possibly never occurrs, or should I wait to see if the virus clinically manifests itself first? I understand that it reduces the risk of transmission during sex along with the use of condoms, but right now I am not going to be having ANY sex until I am comfortable with this situation, so that is not my primary concern.

3) What is the longest incubation period for HSV-2. I have been having unprotected sex with my girlfriend for two months, and she just tested negative (we tested together). I have already informed her of my (and our) situation, and thankfully we are talking through it, though I will honestly say it was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

4) Is there ANY reason why I may want to consider going to a sperm bank and having my sperm frozen? I did not find anything that stated whether HSV can cause fertility issues or birth defects by effecting sperm. I know this seems like an odd question, but it is very important to me to have kids that are mine, and able to lead normal lives.

That is all I have for now, I'm sure I will come up with more, but thank you for having this forum, it has been SO helpful, and has given my much comfort in an uncomfortable time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:48 am 

you definitely need to go and get some confirmatory testing done. odds are you do have a false positive so it's well worth the additional testing.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 pm 

Ok, sorry it took me so long to get back I have been out of the country for a LONG time. BUT, i got retested, and my results turned around. My first test my IgG came back at 1.19, my IgM came back negative, but the lab did not give me a value.

THIS time, my IgG from HerpesSelect came back at .47, but my IgM came ack at 1.55... I am happy the IgG went down below 1.1, but am conused as to why my IgM would then go up, I was under the impression IgM would mean recent exposure, and then as IgM lowers, IgG goes up...

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 pm 

the igm herpes test is a greatly flawed test and we never recommend it being done. totally disregard your igm results. your igg is negative which confirms that your first was a false positive.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]