ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Painful symptoms!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:08 am 

Hello,

I recently contracted herpes from my new boyfriend who was responsible enough to inform me of his STD before we had sex. We has sex 5 times with a condom before I started to notice a painful rash on the inside of my labia. I saw a nurse practitioner at my school who told me that it was herpes with no blood tests (she said she was positive). She gave me aclyovir and told me to take two the first time I notice symptoms and then one for 10 days after. I ended up having to take the aclylovir for 14 days after before the herpes really calmed down. After a week of not taking the drug, a new rash showed up around my perineal area, which feels just like the first one. I started taking aclyovir again, but now twice a day (they are 400mg) hoping that my symptoms will go away! In the mean-time I have been using neosporin, A & D cream, and benadryl to get through the pain and itching.... I am wondering if these ointments have a negative effect on the healing process of the ulcers? If so, what do you recommend to calm down the symptoms?

Thank you,
Kt

Post subject: Re: Painful symptoms!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:18 pm 

stop with the neosporin - that can cause more issues than it helps. if this is herpes, antibacterials won't help anyways.

You need to go back and be seen and get a proper work up done. make them test your lesions for herpes. also get tested for yeast and bacterial infections genitally too. sounds like the practitioner heard your partner has herpes and just assumed this has to be herpes?

You were given the wrong doses of acyclovir too all along :( It should've been 400mg 3x/day for 7-10 days for your first ob. Recurrences it's 400mg 3x/day for 5 days or 800mg 3x/day for 2 days.

is your partner on daily suppressive therapy to lower your risk or are you only using condoms to reduce your risk?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 pm 

Thank you for your help. My boyfriend and I have many questions, since both of our health care providers have mislead us. first, if he has HSV2 and now I have HSV2 can we spread it to other parts of each others bodies during sex? His OBs have been consistently in the same area, but mine have been all over the place... is this normal, or am I spreading it without knowing? He is not currently on suppressive therapy, but would it be a good idea for both of us to be on it? If so, what dose should we be taking each day? If I have no symptoms on my genital region, is it fairly safe for him to go down on me without contracting oral herpes? And lastly, what can I do to suppress the painful ulcers?

Kt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:08 am 

At this point until proven that you really do have genital herpes, I'd assume you don't. Hopefully you can get some more testing done and get a better handle on what is going on soon.

If you do have hsv2, you won't spread it all over your bodies or anything. You won't trigger ob's in each other either.

As to how to treat your herpes, if you both have it, it's up to you how to treat it. If ob's are infrequent and/or mild and you prefer not to treat them, you don't have to. If ob's are more frequent or you just can't imagine having to have another one any time soon, then by all means consider daily suppressive therapy. You don't both have to be on suppressive therapy just because you have herpes too. If you end up not having herpes, definitely your partner should consider it to significantly reduce your chance of contracting hsv2 from him.

keep asking questions :)

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:58 pm 

Hi Besty,
I went back to my health center and had a culture and blood test done. I was negative for HSV1 and positive for HSV2, which is what I expected... the nurse practitioner put me on 500mg of the generic valtrex twice a day for 3 days and the symptoms cleared up, but I had sex with my BF the other night and noticed some more little tears on the inside of my vulva... is it possible that the herpes came back AGAIN?! It seems like everytime I try to have sex I get an OB? Should I just stop having sex for a while and see if it doesn't come back?? This is so frustrating!! Thank you for your help.

KM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 pm 

did they also test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 pm 

no I was not, however at my PAP smear last year they found yeast in the culture. Could that be the reason I keep getting symptoms? Why is it so important to be tested for yeast and bacteria? Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:24 pm 

Yeast and bacterial infections can cause a lot of issue down yonder. BV especially makes herpes more active. Not everything that goes on in the genital area is due to herpes so it's important to rule out those 2 very common infections too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]