ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:39 pm 

hello.. i am new to the board and really scared. about 2 weeks ago, i was sexually assaulted while intoxicated and to make matters worse, 2 days ago i found out i now have herpes. i honestly don't know what to do. i have been reading some of the other posts and researching it a little bit but i think that i am still in so much denial that i think it will just go away. i want to learn more about my condition but first i just need some support. i havent told anyone and dont plan on it because i am a very private person. also, i have struggled with depression for the majority of my life so when i found out i have herpes all of those feelings came back and i have been having suicidal thoughts for the past couple of days now. i really want to talk to a therapist but i want to talk to someone who can help with my herpes as well as my depression. if anyone knows of a website where i can find information on counseling, please let me know! i am desperate! also, any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: HELP!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:04 am 

Have you talked to any rape crisis counselors yet? if not, why not start with them along with visiting your regular therapist. Your therapist doesn't need to know anything about herpes to be able to help you with your feelings as well as to help you cope with being infected with herpes. Also don't hesitate to contact the suicide hotline in your area too for help. You don't have to try to deal with this alone! Plenty of resources out there to help so take advantage of them while you are struggling.

what testing did you have done so far? did you have genital symptoms too?

You can get tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea now. You need to wait another month until you can get syphilis testing. Hiv testing can be done anytime after about a month too with most tests.

Hang in there and talk to people and get support face to face too. We can only do so much online unfortunately.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:38 pm 

thank you for the advice. currently, i'm not seeing my therapist becasue she's expensive, but i'm trying to find affordable counseling so hopefully i'll be seeing someone again soon.

i started having symptoms last week. i'm pretty sure it is what would be my first ob. i had a burning sensation in my genital area and it was worse when i urinated and then i noticed tiny red bumps. i also had body aches which felt like the flu. when i looked these symptoms up online, i realized that it sounded like herpes so i went to planned parenthood and that's what the doctor said it looked like too. she gave me acyclovir 400mg and told me to take 1 pill 3x a day for 10 days. she did a culture test and i want to go back and get a type specific blood test too but how long should i wait?

i did get tested for chlamydia and gonorrehea too but i dont know the results yet.

i have so many questions but i'm going to do some more research to try and find answers. it's just hard because there are so many different answers out there that i dont know which are right! just one for now... how long until my first ob is over?

thanks so much!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:37 am 

the first ob will most likely be over in 2- 3 weeks. the acyclovir will help it be less bothersome sooner.

did they also test you for yeast and bacterial vaginal infections too at PP?

did they call with the lesion culture results yet?

Have you contacted your local mh/mr department ( check the blue pages ) about more affordable therapists in your area?

keep talking and keep asking questions :)

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:15 am 

i received the results today and i tested positive for herpes in the culture test. should i do a blood test too? they told me it doesnt really matter because i already know i have herpes and it's most likely type 2 because it's genital. but i'm just not sure so i thought i would ask you.

also, my results for the chlamydia and gonerrehea tests were negative so that's good.

i had a pap smear along with the sti testing but i'm not sure if that's what you mean by yeast and bacterial vaginal infection testing.

lastly, i did seek help through my local rape crisis center and i am going to start seeing a therapist there. i cant wait to talk to someone and sort out all of my thoughts and feelings. thank you for your help and support in the meantime!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:30 am 

You really can't assume that it's hsv2 just because it's genital. Was any oral sex involved in the encounter?

A pap test doesn't look for anything but abnormal cells on the cervix. They should've done separate testing for yeast and bacterial infections.

I'm glad you sought out help through the rape crisis center! Many options out there sometimes if you can get pointed in the right direction towards them.

lesions healing up ok?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 pm 

oral sex was not involved in the encounter.

should i make an appointment to get vaginal infection testing?

the lesions are getting better visibly but i still feel pain and a burning sensation in my genital area. is this normal? will this feeling always be there or will it go away with my first ob?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:06 pm 

hi. just for some support wanted to say - i also felt extremely depressed after i found out.. i was in a depression stage beforehand and the news obviously did not make any better. But. As time passed by, i started to think of this as perhaps a slight chance to make life better, more meaningful, different! have not figured out how exactly i will do that yet... and afterall, you will become a stronger person because of this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 pm 

thank you for your support. it helps to know that there are others out there going through this too. i know it will make me a stronger person in the end but it is really hard right now in the beginning. i have so many questions and am so confused and sad and angry. thanks for giving me some hope that it will get better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 am 

No oral sex and odds are it is hsv2. I'd follow up in a few months with a type specific herpes igg blood test to be sure. You also need to repeat your hiv and syphilis testing later on anyways.

Give this first ob until next monday. if things still feel burning and such, return to your provider to get tested for yeast and bacterial infections then to make sure that neither of them are going on and further complicating things.

Hang in there and keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:10 pm 

so my first ob is over and it makes me feel a little more hopeful since the pain is gone. although, my vaginal area is still more red than it was before i contracted herpes. will it always be like this?

and i usually shave down there but haven't since the outbreak. is it ok to shave now? i'm afraid it will hurt cuz my skin is more sensitive now so i just want to be sure it won't further irritate me.

also, i finished my acyclovir that the doc gave me but i want to start taking daily suppressive therapy so i dont have to worry so much about outbreaks. what is the difference between acyclovir and valtrex?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:41 am 

You will not always be red and sore. if this continues, return to your provider for testing for vaginitis.

I'd wait yet to shave - give it another week at least. the skin there is still easily irritated and you don't want to irritate it more.

Valtrex is an acyclovir prodrug. greatly simplified, you swallow valtrex and your body converts it into acyclovir. Because of this unique delivery system, you get more active acyclovir in the body so you don't have to take it as often. if you know you will have problems remembering to take medication, valtrex is your best bet if you have insurance that makes it affordable. If money is an issue, go for acyclovir because it's way cheaper.

keep asking questions!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]