ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:08 pm 

Hello,

My first post. Last week I came down with a brutal fever and neck glands swollen. First thought it was Strep throat, then ended up in ER and doc said "you have Herpes GingivioStomatitus". Mouth, tongue, and gums covered with masses of blisters. I'm 50 year old male with family, so obviously the major concern is protecting them.

I'm guessing it will be HPV-2 simply because, my exposure (about 3 days before onset of disease) was to contact the ass and thigh area of a stripper at a party -- with my hand, after which a few minutes later I likely put my hand to my mouth in some way. Absolutely no oral sex or mouth to mouth kissing, by the way, so this is a good example of how easy it is to make one stupid mistake.

As to type, well maybe it is really HPV-1. I just don't know.

The ER took a bunch of lesion cultures but now claim they didn't look for Type :(

Having read your information I now realize that blood tests won't be accurate for 4-6 weeks.

So the question is, it's now 8 days later. I still have lesions, mouth sores on inside of mouth and gums, but vastly reduced. Is there still a chance of getting a new lesion culture (at Quest Diagnostics for example) and getting an accurate type 1/2 measure?

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:28 am 

Hpv is a different virus from herpes. I believe you actually are asking about hsv which is herpes?

You won't get herpes from touching a stripper and then putting your hand in your mouth later. Just not that easy.

Did your lesion cultures come back + for herpes? if so, call and ask them to order a typing on them ( or ask your regular doc to call the ER and ask them to order it - that sometimes works better ). the Lab typically keeps the cultures for a few weeks frozen for issues like this.

Also ask your provider to order you up a type specific herpes igg blood test now to see what your status is.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I typed it wrong...meant to say HSV-2! -- had a fever at the time :)

I don't know if it's type 1 or 2. The ER that did the virus culture didn't do the typing, they only said it was positive for HSV, even though I asked, and won't provide any details to my doctor. Arrgh. I'm getting ppg type 1 and 2 testing, but as I understand it, that won't tell me what I got last week, because it needs 4-6 weeks to develop antibodies.

However the ppg test I just got will hopefully tell me if I already had HSV from some prior infection.

As to the method of transmission... that is the mystery. I definitely didn't have sex with this other woman, or even kiss her on the mouth. I'm not particularly shy and wouldn't bother lying about it if it had happened. What did happen was that I put my hands on her and gave her a big kiss on the cheek. So either it transmitted by hand contact...very unlikely...or she was shedding enough from a mouth outbreak (maybe covered by makeup) that I got some from the cheek kiss. I was also on some steroids that my doctor believes "might" have supressed my immune response.

I suppose it is possible my wife had an residual infection and I caught it by kissing her in my immune supressed state, but we've been together for 15 years so I should have caught it long ago.

So who knows. I just have to wait and find out if I'm positive for type 1 or 2 or both.

Thanks for all the very helpful info on this site.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:33 pm 

odds are it's hsv1 related. steroids can cause the recurrence as well as they can cause oral thrush which can also trigger herpes shedding. continue to follow up on it as needed.

can your wife recall cold sores or has she ever been tested for herpes?

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:38 am 

Both wife and I have had "canker" sores over the years, but always small ones, so not sure they are actually herpes. Neither tested for herpes - it just never was an issue.

I had discounted the possibility that I already had HSV1, and had a recurrence, because the doctor was so emphatic that whatever I got "MUST BE" a primary infection. He said that the high fever, swollen glands, and massive gum outbreaks could not possibly be anything but a primary infection.

But who knows. Need to wait a few week for accurate blood tests, at this point.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:11 am 

betsyb1967 wrote:
odds are it's hsv1 related. steroids can cause the recurrence as well as they can cause oral thrush which can also trigger herpes shedding. continue to follow up on it as needed.

can your wife recall cold sores or has she ever been tested for herpes?

betsy

Hi Betsy,

Does herpes also cause oral thrush...possibly that is?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:46 am 

herpes is a virus. oral thrush is a fungal infection. they aren't related.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]