ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions and concerns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 pm 

First of all I want to thank whoever came up with this message blog. I find it so helpfull and it makes me fell a little better knowing that I'm not alone with issues that I have.
Second, this is my first post. Sorry if I sound nervous. This is my first time really talking about my issues. So here we go...
I was diagnosed with g/h in February 2008 however I had my son (vaginally) in July 2007. I'm guessing I had g/h before my first o/b in Feb 2008 and just didn't know it. Is there health risks that my son may have?
Also another question...
What is HPV exactly and is it this something that women with g/h have or get later in life?
I know I should know these things but I don't like talking about this stuff face to face (not even to my doctors). Even after these 2 years I still feel embarrassed, gross, ashamed, and frankly, pissed off that this happened to me. I hate having sex with my own husband (who is the only person I ever told about my diagnoses of g/h) and I'm always depressed about this. Still I cry sometimes because of this and I don't know how I can handle this for the rest of my life.
Please let me know your thoughts. I would really like to finally understand some of this stuff.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:00 am 

Welcome to the board!

When you were diagnosed, what testing did you have done? did you have an obvious lesion that was tested or did you have a blood test done? Has your husband been tested to know his own status too?

No need for any testing for your son. if he had contracted herpes from you during birth, he would've been visibly ill soon afterwards.

do you also have hpv on top of herpes or are you just asking about it? Lots of terrific info on hpv on the main asha website.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 pm 

Hi Betsy,
When I was tested, my Doctor used a culture/swab type testing. What I thought was a problem with my episiotomy was something obviously worse. I think she could tell visually too. No my husband has not been tested and I don't think he ever will. His thought is whatever I have, he has.
And for the HPV, I am just wondering about it. What is it? Is it a STD? Can that be transmitted to my husband? (or is he a "carrier"), are there ssymptoms? Just general stuff I guess. I go back to my OB in the summer I plan on asking to get tested for HPV.
Any information will be helpfull.
Thanks so much

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:13 am 

read the hpv info on the main site. Lots of terrific info on hpv there!

Encourage hubby to get tested so that you know for sure if you need to be concerned about precautions or not. If he won't, then be very clear that you don't want him to be complaining if at some point he starts noticing symptoms on himself!!

So how are you treating your herpes? Are you having frequent recurrences?

Are you planning on having more children at some point?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:52 pm 

I take Acyclovir 200mg, 2 pills 2 times daily but not like I should. At first (and still I guess) I hate the thought of having to take medication of any kind (well, except for birth control) everyday for the rest of my life. So I pretty much take it about half the time, which causes me to have more o/b then others (about every few months) This is what makes me so upset. I am a healthy person, the only time I was in a hospital was to give birth, no other health problems, I see my doctor (and dentist) every year or 6 months. I hate this!!! I hate this nasty, stupid, thing that just lives in my body waiting to make my life miserable. I find this so unfair. I am a good person and question God on why this happened to me. I'm not saying only bad people deserve this, no one does, but still after these couple of years, I just can't beleive this happened to me. Sorry I don't mean to vent, it just really really makes me mad. By the way do you know of any studies for a cure?
As for more kids... I don't think so. If I didn't have this issue then maybe. But still, 1 is way enough for me. I think. Maybe :) He is the best kid in the world and I loved being pregnant, pushing an almost 10 pounder out, nurseing, staying home with him, the whole 9 yards. I love being a mom but I don't know if I want to risk passing this on.
Thanks again for listening.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:17 am 

Honestly you are your own worse enemy at this point. Do you realize that? herpes is a viral infection. It doesn't give a hoot who you are - it just is an opportunistic virus. You can very easily control it but you need to get out of the mindset you are in ( and also get the proper acyclovir dose too ). If your doctor said ok girl from KY, you have type 2 diabetes and you need to change your diet and start taking pills before every meal and this shot at bedtime and you are going to need to do it for the rest of your life. Are you going to say, no doc I don't like taking pills? no, you'll say ok and do it. Treating your herpes is the same thing. You don't want to be bothered with recurrences any more than you have to be so you have to buck up and take the medication. If you can't remember to take 400mg 2x/day ( the proper dose you should be taking ) then you need to switch to once daily valtrex instead and take it daily with your bc pill. You can actively control your herpes. There aren't any long term side effects to treating it. Why say you don't like to take medication and not take it properly for your herpes? Don't question why God allowed this to happen to you, thank him for giving you something like herpes that you can handle and not something worse!!

As for more kids, you have a less than 1% risk of transmitting the virus to your baby if no lesions are present at the time of delivery. You are at higher risk of having a blood clot from being on the birth control pill than you have of passing on your herpes during delivery. If you do have an active lesion at the time of labor, a c section will be done to protect your baby. Don't allow herpes to hold you back from having more kids if you want them.

Keep venting and keep asking questions! This is a SAFE place to let it all out and get the knowledge you need to take your herpes by the proverbial horns and take back control of it! right now it sounds like it's bossing you around instead of you being the one in charge.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]