ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: resistant HSV outbreaks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 pm 

Has anyone experienced or have experience with new onset frequent (monthly or bimonthy) outbreaks that do not respond to acyclovir or valtrex suppression? I have had HSV for almost 25 years with infrequent outbreaks that always responded to acyclovir suppression. For the past 8 months I have noticed outbreaks 1-2 x month that do not respond to acyclovir, I switched to Valtrex and have been on 1gm twice a day to try to suppress with little luck. The outbreaks are mild but continue. Any advice? I have tested negative for diabetes, HIV and Hepatitis.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:32 pm 

are you male or female?

Have you had any lesion cultures done of your current symptoms to confirm that they are herpes?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:35 pm 

I am female, and no I have not had any new cultures of the lesion but they recur in the same location and present the same as they always have.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:04 am 

Have you been seen in the last 8 months and tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally?

odds are what is going on now, isn't all herpes related. If you are testing negative for infections vaginally, see a dermatologist to find out what is going on.

Are you by chance also going through menopause or starting to be pretty perimenopausal?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 am 

I am perimenopausal and think this may be the reason the outbreaks are presenting so differently. But I the prodrome and symtoms are exactly the same as they have always been over the years. I could do vag cultures but do not think that is the case.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:05 pm 

Honestly 99% of the time, this isn't all herpes going on when you aren't responding to suppressive therapy. Get tested for yeast and bacterial infections for starters. Also discuss with your provider if your vaginal skin is thinning and if there's a need for topical estrogen to strengthen it. Thinning skin happens as we age and can set us up for vaginitis issues too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]