ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:48 pm 

4 months ago i got my first outbreak + bv - i freaked out, went to doctor, was tested negative for herpes and got prescribed just something for yeast infection. my symptoms came and went, i went to other doctorS, tested negative again... and only when i finally went to Planned Parenthood after months of paranoia was i rightly diagnosed by a blood test (type 2). and yet still - it's been 2 weeks since the diagnose and i have not been seen by any professional to get prescription or at least talk! i'll be seen in a week, but in the mean time please help me answer some questions!!

1. I've read that if you take meds for your first ob, it'll "help" with the later ones. Since i've missed that chance, does that mean more outbreaks in the future? Should I bother with meds now? Or let my immune system take care of it?

[ My outbreaks are often, I think - I got tingling, burning, soreness feeling after every period, twice i got the bumps/ulcers too, and sometimes i just feel random symptoms one day and they're gone in few hours, next day its there again for a little bit...Right now it feels like the third major ob coming].

2. Do the above mentioned "half a day tingly/burning+ half a day perfectly fine" symptoms mean an actual outbreak - more contagious that is?

3. How do the meds work - do they support immune system to fight, do they block the outbreaks somehow?

4. Does alcohol have anything to do with triggering outbreaks?

5. I am assuming i probably shouldn't go to the pool when i'm feeling even the slightest anything down there right? i know it's not contagious through water, but still feels wrong..

Sorry for so many questions, i have no trust for healthcare now and will also interrogate planned parenthood w/questions, but this forum is great and just feels right. really appreciate your answers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 am 

So you had bv and then yeast and now a + herpes diagnosis? Do I have that right? How did they diagnose you as having herpes? If it was a blood test, please call and get the results to post here - ie hsv1 igg 5.5 and hsv2 igg 2.2 or whatever they were.

1. I've read that if you take meds for your first ob, it'll "help" with the later ones. Since i've missed that chance, does that mean more outbreaks in the future? Should I bother with meds now? Or let my immune system take care of it?

no, this is not true. treating ob's just helps them to heal faster and doesn't have any effect on the frequency of future ob's.

2. Do the above mentioned "half a day tingly/burning+ half a day perfectly fine" symptoms mean an actual outbreak - more contagious that is?

at this point we don't even know for sure if you have herpes. Once you provide me with more info as to how you were diagnosed, we can address your symptoms you think are due to herpes.

3. How do the meds work - do they support immune system to fight, do they block the outbreaks somehow?

The medications work by disrupting the viral replication process so that the virus can't continue to reproduce and cause more symptoms.

4. Does alcohol have anything to do with triggering outbreaks?

nope

5. I am assuming i probably shouldn't go to the pool when i'm feeling even the slightest anything down there right? i know it's not contagious through water, but still feels wrong..

absolutely no reason why you can't go swimming when you have an ob. unless you are having sex with someone in the pool, herpes isn't an issue.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 pm 

Yes, I had bv (treated) and then was diagnosed with herpes. I haven't been able to reach the office for my results for the past couple of days, uhg!! will tell you as soon as i know. I had a blood test done and received a letter which was marked "the herpes type 2 antibody test was positive".
thanks for answers!!!
- is bv and herpes associate somehow? one triggers the other?
also, one more stupid question i feel like - what about using tampons with an outbreak? right now my sore/scab is right down there around the opening... sorry for details. is it ok to use tampons?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:34 pm 

as long as it doesn't hurt to insert it, no problems with using a tampon.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:32 pm 

so my results are: hsv type 2 igg 3.83.
i was prescribed acyclovir 400 mg daily, twice a day... is this a good dosage?

and how is bv and herpes related, in any way?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:47 pm 

Yes that is the proper dose for suppressive therapy. if after about 2 weeks of being on it, you are still having symptoms genitally, return to be seen and get tested again for bv and yeast again too.

bv makes you more likely to contract herpes because it alters your natural protective ph and flora in the genital area. It also makes herpes more active when you have it. sometimes it just really sucks to be female :(

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]