ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re-transmitting?!?!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:08 pm 

I'm surprised how little concern I have for myself at this point... the news is still fairly fresh, but the first thing I have to know is how likely it is that I could (or have) transmit(ted) this virus to my little sister. The details are as follows

HER: has had bladder/ureter/kidney surgeries since 1999. Right kidney transplant 06/2009, and reduced anti-rejection drugs in 07/2009 or 08/2009 but still greatly immunosupressed.

ME: pap smear came back suspicious 07/2009 bc/ of elevated white blood cell count, but had large-ish boil on outer labia and was passed off as false reading. diagnosed as HSV-2 positive 12/2009 by blood test (still don't have details, but working on it). I haven't had any outbreaks on my genitals yet, but I have weird clear pustules on my fingers that reoccur and leave a thin crusty yellowish layer (and afterwards very thick, dry skin) which are very possibly herpes.

Before I knew I had herpes I would spend an hour in our shared bathroom picking at blemishes with tweezers (including the boil on my genitals, bumps on my hands, and pimples/dry-skin on my face) and leave my tweezers on my side of the counter, or even use HER tweezers if I had misplaced mine. I have to assume that if she misplaced her tweezers she occasionally used my tweezers as well to at least pluck eyebrows, and maybe pop pimples.

IS THERE ABSOLUTELY ANY WAY that tweezers in direct contact with my blood and/or herpes "juice" could transfer this virus into my immunosuppressed sister?

Post subject: Re: Re-transmitting?!?!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 am 

odds are what is in your fingers isn't due to herpes. I'd definitely see a dermatologist for a proper work up though for that. If it's infection, you don't want to leave that untreated for long.

I wouldn't worry that you transmitted herpes to your sister.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]