ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help please
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:01 am 

Hello,

I'm new to this, so excuse me if I'm a bit melodramatic.

I recently found out (within the past 3 days) - not through blood work just examination - that I have the HSV (2 is what i suppose it is from all i've read). I couldn't have been hit harder with the news. I immediately assumed it was my new boyfriend of the last 2 months, because I have never, NEVER shown symptoms before. I had been tested before but can't remember what all for... each time I had a new partner we'd have "the talk" about testing and all that, and each time i had been told they were clean - apparently someone lied to me.

Upon telling my boyfriend, who claimed just days prior to be absolutely in love with me, and seeing this whole future together, he couldn't be more cold. the first two days he figured he had given it to me, or had it as well so what was the difference. when he went to get blood work and checked out (he only had a spot or two on him) the dr said it didn't look like he had it but would do the test anyways. if someone could answer - are the blood tests that correct?

He won't even talk about what we'll do if he doesn't have it. He's been getting short with me, even at times somewhat cold. He's trying to look past this, and just be positive till results come in, but isn't it better to discuss now? All I know is that he is the first guy in a very long time I have felt this way about, and everything up until this point has been wonderful. Now I feel like I'm losing him, my way of living, my entire life. It's like I cannot stop thinking about it, or becoming emotional. And I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to drive him away with being too emotional or talking all the time about it. But honestly, sometimes the pain is so awful that I just want to die because it won't go away!

All I know is I am absolutely miserable. I realize there are ways of managing, coping, and living with the disease. It's just extremely confusing, there's so many things online I don't know what's right and what's wrong, or what to try and what not to. I feel like my boyfriend is afraid of me. I'm afraid of me. I can't even tell anyone - my family is extremely religious and anti - premarital sex, and all of my friends are still with their high school sweethearts.

I'm lost, confused, and feeling completely alone. I can't sleep because of the pain. I just feel like my entire life is ending.

Post subject: Re: Help please
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:00 am 

welcome to the board :)

so you had no testing done at all yet, just a visual diagnosis? did they do any testing for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally ?

Once your bf has his blood test results back, you'll have better answers about this status.

it can be hard for both partners to deal with this. one feels guilt about the other and each of us deals with stress differently. if your provider didn't give you the valtrex dvd, I highly recommend you both take the time to watch at and also read the free herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com. The counseling video is really good for both of you I think.

hang in there - this is hard to deal with. it's not a part of routine std testing but most folks assume it is.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:59 am 

That's correct - I have had no blood tests. Should I go get them? Is it possible to have HSV 1 even though its down there? I realize HSV -1 is oral, but is it possible to get 2 orally, or 1 in genitalia? I've been looking everywhere for answers, but I feel like every site has a different one. Is Valtrex the same thing as Acyclovir?

Thank you for the recommendation I will look into it. I'm sorry I have so many questions, but the place I went to get the exam wasn't that thorough and wasn't much into answering questions, and everything online contradicts one another, so if someone wouldn't mind clearing up some other questions.

When I was examined, they said I had to have contracted it within the last 6 days - how is that true when I read people go for years not knowing they have it? Is it because I've never had a symptom (not even like anything I could have misread as a pimple/ingrown hair/etc) and now all of a sudden have the worst?

Also - and this may be odd - is it bad to wear panty liners during an outbreak? All the websites say to keep it dry and like in a breathable material, so does that mean by using liners I'm making it worse?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:59 pm 

at this point, it's too late for a lesion culture - it needed to be done at your appointment. A blood test will only give you partial answers too at this point. If you get a blood test now, you'll need to repeat it again in a few months so it's up to you if you want to get one now or not. It will potentially help you figure out if this is a newly acquired infection or not. Last time I checked, the planned parenthood in state college offered the herpeselect blood test for under $100 but I think they also charge you an office visit. At this point, it's going to be months until you have better answers to be honest. Should you get a return of symptoms within the next 3 months, be seen promptly again and insist on a lesion culture and typing. Otherwise get a blood test in 3 or 4 months and see what is shows. If it's only hsv1+ at that point, it'll be more waiting unfortunately to confirm that you have hsv1 genitally. You can get either type in either location ( the handbook goes into all of that too ).

Valtrex is an acyclovir prodrug. Greatly simplified it means you swallow valtrex and your body turns it into acyclovir. You get more active acyclovir available to your body to use to disrupt the viral replication process so you take it less often than you do acyclovir.

It's fine to wear a panty liner during an ob if it's more comfortable.

keep asking questions!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]