ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:44 pm 

I am over 50 yrs. old and have been married 35 years. My husband and I have been monogamous for decades. I had my first outbreak about two weeks ago. It consisted of one red spot on buttocks and one blister near the anus. The blister only lasted 2-3 days at the most and was really painful only one day. The red spot on my rear was there a week I guess and it still itches a little, but has faded. My doctor said it is herpes, and I did have a blood test and was tested positive for HSV1 & 2. I am currently taking the generic version of Valtrex 500 mg., but was going to discontinue until I feel a new outbreak. My doctor seems to think because my ob was so minimal that I may have had the virus in my system dormant for many, many years. Also she said it wouldn't surprise her if I never have another outbreak again or for a very long time, because this one was so small. (Considering most first outbreaks are more severe) I would like clarification if this is true, because I would love to hear that from another source. I would hope she wouldn't be telling me that just to make me feel better.

My blood test also said that the herpes is acute. I believe the nurse said that meant not active right now. Please confirm that.

I did tell my husband a couple of days later, as I had to build up my nerve. I was really dreading it. He however was very nice and supportive. I almost think he doesn't understand the seriousness of it yet. I am not as anxious as I was, but would like a moderator's view of my case.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:23 pm 

Welcome to the board :)

Did they do a lesion culture too or just the blood test? If it was just the blood test, can you call and get them to read the results to you to post here for me to look at? I just need to see the numeric results - ie hsv1 igg 5.5 and hsv2 igg 3.4 or whatever they are.

Has your husband been tested yet? If not, that's your next step. You can' t decide what precautions to take together from this point forward until you know who has what.

So about your ob's, at this point, only time will tell how they will be and how often you will get them. At this point you don't know if this is newly acquired or not either from the sounds of things.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:11 am 

Not a moderator but another 50-ish woman with HSV 2 whose husband is negative. I was terribly upeset when I found out (before I met my husband) but he was also very understanding an supportive when I told him early in our relationship. You say that you aren't sure your husband understands the seriousness. I'd like you to consider the possibilty that maybe you are overestimating the seriousness--I know did when I was first diagnosed. As time goes by, it became irrelevant most of the time--an annoying inconvenience (and sometimes a bit uncomfortable) when an outbreak occurs, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:21 am 

Just a question for you ladies. I have been married faithful marriage for 9 yrs. and recently I was tested positive for hsv2 and my husband tested negative. We have been having unprotected sex for 9 yrs and he never contracted it. Now he wants to use a condom all the time. What was your husbands feelings about this topic? I would be very appreciative for any advise. This change to our sex life is causing me much pain and I do not know how to deal!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 pm 

I picked up a copy of my blood test from my doctor. I did not have any other tests or labs. It says HSV 1 igg 3.61 and HSV 2 igg }5.00 (greater than). Also it says igm 0.53. And "Not Acute" on the paperwork, which I misunderstood on the phone last week. My husband has not been tested yet, as he has been out of town on business, but knows he needs to be tested. We will use condoms until he does. He has not had any outbreaks, and mine have completely cleared.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:12 pm 

thank you for getting those kaye - it really does help. your hsv2 igg is over the typical false positive rate so no reason for more testing at this point.

once you know hubby's test results, you two can better figure out if you want to change anything as far as precautions to take together from this point on.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]