ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 pm 

Background: long-term infection with HSV2 (by swab culture)--more than 10 years. The only outbreaks appear to on my backside -- for a while I ran to the gyno every time it showed up to see if there were internal lesions, never found any.

Finally the question (for which I've gotten mixed info): I hear about skin-to-skin contact being required, but is that skin-to-sore (backside) or should I assume there is transmissable virus genitally as well. I mean, can I slap a big bandage on my butt and have sex with my husband (who does not appear to have the virus but hasn't been tested) or should we continue to avoid relations during an outbreak?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:26 pm 

Welcome to the board :)

When you have an ob on your buttocks, you are shedding the virus from the area of the lesion as well as from the entire anogenital area. In between obvious lesions , you are also periodically shedding the virus from the anogenital area. When you have lesions, you should be completely avoiding sex, not just avoiding contact with the actual lesion.

Has hubby been tested to know his own status? If not, why not ask him to get a type specific herpes igg blood test to see if you even have to be worrying about transmission at this point?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:39 pm 

Thanks, Betsy.

Neither my husband nor I have had blood tests. I just had the swab culture back in the 1990s, and my doctor at that time said the typing was often wrong but the treatment was the same anyway.

My husband and I have the same primary care doctor, so we can ask her to order a test for both of us. That way we can know if we each have HSV 1 and/or HSV 2.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:35 pm 

odds are your herpes is hsv2. no real reason to doubt that. definitely have hubby get tested though so you can see if you need to be worrying about transmission or not at this point. I'm assuming it's not a real issue anyways for the two of you at this point in your relationship?

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:02 am 

No, not a big issue in our relationship. It's an occasional inconvenience and I do want to avoid transmitting the virus. So if he has antibodies to HSV 2 then it's not an issue. The Mr gets an occasional oral cold sore, and I'm curious if I have HSV 1 (most of us do, I know). We avoid kissing when he has a sore, but if I have antibodies to HSV 1 it wouldn't matter, right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:04 pm 

even the best blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. just warning you in case you come back hsv1+ and hubby doesn't. that often turns into a what the heck moment sometimes!

hsv2 has some protection against hsv1 but not vice versa. Even if you don't have hsv1 odds are you won't get it. definitely hubby shouldn't perform oral on you when he has active cold sores for multiple reasons but otherwise at this point really low risk of transmission to you in general.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:34 am 

Test results for me (HerpeSelect) were
HSV 1 = < .9 (negative)
HSV 2 = 2.74 (positive)

(That was really fast using tstd.org and the LabCorp down the street.)

When DH returns from out of town, he'll get tested also.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:02 pm 

By the way, I know that 2.74 is low, but could that be affected by my being on acyclovir for the past couple of weeks?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 am 

you have a prior + lesion culture so you know you have hsv. that is your result and even though it's what we consider a low positive, it's meaningless that it's lowish. also no acyclovir won't effect the igg result at this point in your infection.

Now if hubby gets a hsv2 igg that low, he'll need additional testing since he's never had symptoms just to err on the side of caution but for you, it's just confirming what you partly already knew ( that you had hsv genitally ) and confirming what I suspected, that it was hsv2 based on that you get recurrences yearly. hope that makes sense?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]