ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:52 pm 

Hi...

I am new and still working through the emotional shock of this. I was diagnosed with gHSV1 last August. Been a bit of an emotional roller coaster for me, one of which I am still working through. Some days are better than others. I sure wish one my relatives gave me a kiss when I was younger so I got the herpes orally!!!! ... as you could see from my first post... just needed to vent a little... but now a question.. I think it is a question? :)

I have seen many posts where people were asking if their partner has Oral HSV1 and they have gHSV1 what are the odds of passing it to them genitally... which i have seen the other partner is 97-98% protected due to the fact they already have HSV1.

So my question is.... if it was so easily transmitted to someone who already has HSV1... wouldn't it be just as easy for someone who has it Orally to give it to another Oral HSV1 infected person in the genital area via Oral Sex????? Not sure if my question/statement made sense... LOL...

One would think having it genitally would be less of a risk to another HSV1 carrier versus one who carries it in their mouth since the person carrying orally would typically have more shed days than the one carrying it genitally. Right???

Thanks.... I hope I wasn't confusing on this one... :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:50 am 

If someone has hsv1 orally, they aren't likely at all to contract hsv1 genitally. Having it on one body part gives you significant protection against contracting it on another body part later on. it can happen but odds are it never will. typically just avoiding sex anytime the hsv1 genital partner has symptoms, is all it takes to protect the hsv1 oral partner. when someone has obvious cold sores, they shouldn't perform oral on their partner when they have a cold sore present to err on the side of caution even if their partner has hsv1. cold sores are open lesions into the body for germs in general.

did that answer your question?

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:25 pm 

Hi Betsy yes it did... :)

I don't think it was really a question though but more of me trying to put it in a different light. Having it genitally versus orally doesn't make you any more contagious to your HSV1 partner as they are to you!!!

Oddly, this actually makes me a little bit more "OK" with my situation.... :)

Thanks again!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]