ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: generic valtrex
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:16 pm 

Yes there is now a generic drug version of valtrex available in the US ( and canada ). Due to shortages in the ingredients used to make acyclovir, there is a limited supply so it might not be available in all areas. Later on this spring more generic manufacturers should be able to also make the medication so it should come down in price a bit then too. Right now not a big difference in price if you don't have insurance. If you do have insurance, it will be on the lower generic price most folks have with their plans which is a cost savings for many people.

I've heard numerous rumors on the various boards about the generic version being removed from the market. As far as I know, there is absolutely no validity to that. Also rumors of there being serious side effects from the generic area also untrue. Not sure why these rumors have started.

generic medications contain the same active ingredients as the name brand. They may contain other fillers and colorings etc that do not effect the effectiveness of the medication. They are lower cost because they aren't trying to recoop the costs of development.

Also anyone having problems getting the 400mg acyclovir tablets, supply should be increasing soon. Remember you can take 200mg tablets and just take 2 at a time and you can also cut 800mg tablets in half ( I recommend spending $3 for a pill cutter to do it though ).

betsy

Post subject: Re: generic valtrex
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 am 

Hi Betsy,
Since my doctor put me on tablets for suppression she has always given me a prescription for Valaciclovir. Until this last month the pharmacist has always given me Valtrex. This last month they actually gave me different tablets with Valaciclovir on the box. Are these the generic ones you are getting in the US do you think? If not should the dose being taken be different?

Thanks for your advice :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am 

same medication, same dose.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:15 am 

Thanks Betsy, that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:13 am 

Is one dose of 500 Valtrex or its generic just as effective as 800mg ? with suppression of symptoms and shedding?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:31 pm 

daily suppressive therapy with all 3 antivirals for herpes all suppress the virus about the same and reduce ob's about the same. Valtrex is more convenient than acyclovir and famvir just because of the once daily dosing.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]