ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nonsexual transfer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 pm 

Hi. Thanks ahead of time for any responses. I have had hsv 2 I guess for almost 30 years. No testing cause they didn't do it then. My question is how can it be spread nonsexually? Mine started off genital but over the years moved to my forehead. Betsy - I posted this on another site but no response but yours, I think. How is this transmitted at this point? How could I give it to someone else? I had someone massage my forehead for a short period of time and then move to another person (without me knowing that I had an ob until the next day). Could the masseuse get it on her fingers and pass it on to the next person? That is my primary question. I have been sleepless since this happened. Also, I have been taking acyclovir 400mg per day since forever if that makes a difference. I have read every question on the site and I think I know the answer but would be happy to hear it directly. Wish this site had been around 30 years ago! So much I did not know. And all you out there.....I have been married to a wonderful man for over 23 years that I told I had hsv 2 and he still does not have it and my life has been normal except for wondering about situations like this. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Nonsexual transfer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:31 am 

Welcome to the board :)

How were you diagnosed as having hsv on your forehead? wasi t typed as hsv1 or hsv2? did you ever follow up with any herpes blood testing for your genital herpes to confirm what type it is? How often were you having recurrences genitally before you went on suppressive therapy?

when you don't have active lesions present on the forehead, it's not going to be transmitted to anyone. The skin on the forehead is different from the genital mucosa.

Suppressive therapy for genital herpes is 400mg 2x/day with acyclovir. once daily isn't effective.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:28 pm 

Thanks so much for the reponse Betsy. You have put my mind at ease. I have never been tested or typed. When I first got it in 1983, I was swabbed but it was probably a little late and came back negative. I definitely had it however! Awful ob. Had to go to the er to get catheterized to pee. Like a case of the flu with fever and swollen glands. Then had some numbness on my butt for months. I had frequent obs probably once a month until I started the acyclovir when it came out. About 15 years ago, I started having tingling on my forehead with little tiny (sometimes cannot see them) bumps and slowly stopped getting the virus genitally. My son got ocular herpes (I always assumed from me by doing butterfly kisses with his eyelashes on my forehead) about 13 years ago and is fine now with no recurrence thank heavens. I guess all this could be a coincidence. May have Type 1 on my forehead but I never have had a fever blister on my lip in my life. Do you think there is any value at this point in getting tested? My husband of 23 years has no symptoms. Thanks for the news about the acyclovir! Taking only 400mg all this time has done nothing? LOL. Think I will up it to twice a day then. I have been thinking all this time that I could inoculate myself somewhere else on my face by putting on make up using a brush, etc. Reading this site has helped me to see that that is probably not the case. Sounds like the odds of giving it to someone else from my face to their hand is unlikely given the nature of the virus. Whew!! I can quit worrying so much after all these years. Love the site. I ordered the online newsletter and look forward to staying up to date on things. Wish for a vaccine for my kids! Maybe before too much longer one will be available. Thanks again Betsy!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 am 

honestly it's not likely it is herpes on your forehead. more likely something else going on and I suggest a dermatologist consult to get to the bottom of it all.

I also suggest a type specific herpes igg blood test for once and for all to find out what types you have though I'm sure it's hsv2 genitally considering all your recurrences ( unless it was never herpes in the first place but sounds like it probably is ).

ocular herpes is typically oral herpes reactivating and going up the nerves into the eyes. how old was your son when he contracted it? 1 out of every 2-3 adults that were around him had hsv1 orally, he could've gotten it from numerous people growing up. Most folks who have hsv1 orally don't get obvious cold sores to know that they are infected with the virus. eyelash kisses aren't going to transmit the virus to someone.

if you want the convenience of once daily suppressive therapy, switch to valtrex.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:33 pm 

Thanks so much Betsy. I will talk to my doctor about it when I go next time. I appreciate all the information.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]