ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:58 pm 

My daughter has hsv2 (confirmed with swab and igg blood test). She will be having surgery next week. Should she be on suppressive therapy before this surgery to prevent an outbreak or does this only apply if she is having surgery around the lower part of the body? She has minor outbreaks, but her gyn has never discussed any kind of suppressive therapy with her. I am encouraging her to find a new one who is more up to date!

Last edited by worried4her on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:35 pm 

the stress of surgery may or may not trigger a recurrence for her. Does she keep antivirals around to use for recurrences? Unless she knows that anytime her body is run down she gets an ob, no reason to go on suppressives though if she thinks she might feel an ob starting, episodic therapy works best if started at the very first sign of an impending recurrence.

What is her personal situation - does she have a regular partner? is so, what is their status? Is she interested in going on suppressive therapy just to have less recurrences?

It is a shame when the patient has to do all the homework and ask their doctor but thankfully there are resources that are terrific now for patients to do so! If she's interested in suppressive therapy to protect a partner or to reduce recurrences, she should just ask, not wait for her doctor to suggest it :)

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:39 pm 

*SIGH* She has an on again off again partner. She thinks she got it (a year ago) from him because of when she had the first outbreak. I don't think she has told him because she thinks he knows due to some comments he has made. I totally disagree with her, but I've done all I can. We cannot have a rational discussion about it right now, so I've had to back off.

When she had the first outbreak, she had several sores, swollen glands in the groin, and she could barely urinate. She was in some pain! This lasted for about a week, then had back to back outbreaks for about a month and then they tapered off. I don't think she has many now and I know they are very mild. Would this type of outbreak have indicated a new infection or could she have had it prior to this and just not known?

This website has been a blessing to me. I have educated myself and it has brought comfort to me to know what herpes really is. I was very misinformed before.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:59 pm 

I'm glad the website has been able to give you the info you need :)

I understand that things might be at the point where you might as well talk to the wall about things....lol. You know she is listening though to what you say even if she gets angry .

It does sound more like a newly acquired infection from the sounds of things but it could also be that something was triggering more noticeable recurrences like bv especially. Has she been back to be seen and tested properly for yeast and bacterial vaginal infections? Don't treat those and the herpes will reoccur.

I'm a fan of suppressive therapy myself. Ob's just don't heal fast enough and I can't be bothered waiting for them to heal myself. Acyclovir is typically the cheapest option though if you have prescription coverage with insurance, valtrex is now generic so you can usually get it far cheaper now and take advantage of the once daily dosing convenience. Definitely suggest it to her so she has less recurrences. She really should talk to her partner about this though too. assume nothing is always my motto.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]