ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:58 am 

Me and my boyfriend were both tested for HSV after his ex wife informed us that she has had HSV-2 for 2 years. My boyfriend slept with his ex wife unprotected 2 times about a year ago, not knowing that she was infected. We both got the blood test and our doctors told us that we were negative for HSV. I was wondering if this was an accurate blood test. We were told that our test was type specific and tested for old and new exposure (IgG,IgM). Anyway, here are my results... if anyone can possibly explain what they mean...
Immunoglobulin IgG: Result: 1330 Ref Range (694-1619)
Immunoglobulin IgM: Result: 130 Ref Range (40-230)

HSV Ab, IgG: .4
HSV-1 Ab, IgG: Not IND
HSV-2 Ab, IgG: Not IND
HSV-1 Ab, IgM: Wk POS
HSV-2 Ab, IgM: Negative

HSV Ab, IgG
Reactive >or= 1.1
Non-Reactive < .9
Indeterminate .9 - <1.1

If anyone can shed some light on these results and the accuracy of them I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:25 pm 

I'm not sure which test you had done but it's not the herpes select which is one of the most accurate ones out there.

The igm was a total waste of your time and money and should've never been drawn on you ( see posts from last week where we talked about why ).

Your igg results as you've posted them are confusing. The .4 you posted - was that the hsv1 or hsv2 result?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:55 pm 

Thanks for replying. I'm not really sure what the .4 goes to. It is just listed next to HSV Ab, IgG. When I got the test done they told me that IgG tested for recent exposure and IgM tested for past exposure. ( I might have that backwards) I guess I don't really understand why the IgG is a waste of time. I'm not too worried about the .4 as there is a scale at the bottom of the report that lists this as a range of being negative (negative = anything < .9). So if this wasn't a herpes select test, then is there any way I can find out what kind of test it was? I do know that it is a type specific test and that it was to test for recent and past exposure. I asked my Doc how reliable the test was and he said very.... so I guess I just have to trust that, but it still makes me a little nervous. I get some comfort in the fact that my boyfriend and I both tested negative. It's just all so hard to understand. If you can give me any more insight on any of this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:39 am 

I guess we can assume then that the .4 is a general herpes test which just tests for the presence of herpes in your body. It would appear that it's negative and also the type specific was negative. I can pretty much guarantee that this wasn't a herpes select blood test. If you can get the lab your doctor uses and also the exact test number he ordered we can look up the specifics for you.

It's the igm that was a waste of time - other posts explain it in detail as to why it should've never been drawn on you.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:41 am 

I'll call my doctor next week and try to get the specifics on the test that was ordered. Thank you so much for answering my questions. I'll let you know what I find out. Have a good weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:38 pm 

Hey. I actually got a hold of the Lab today (Saturday) and they said that a Herpes select was ran. It tested for antibodies of the IgG and IgM and was also ran for a Type specific. So I'm not sure why my result layout is not ringing a bell. I just wish that these clinics would get things right. I mean my doctor gave me and my boyfriend a clean bill of health. I would hope that they would be extremely sure about that, but it doesn't seem to be that way. I would hate to sleep with someone some time down the road thinking that I am clean because of these results, only to find out that my testing was inaccurate. I really hope that more doctors, especially doctors in small towns, will become more educated on the subject. It's just very frustrating. Anyway, my sample was sent to the South Bend Foundation in South Bend, Indiana. So I guess I just trust my and my boyfriends results then? I mean if he was possibly exposed a year ago, he would most likely have had a positive result right? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:23 am 

Ok so I looked up the south bend foundation and it appears that they first run a general herpes antibody test and if it's negative then they don't do the type specific test. so actually I'd assume that you never had the herpes select done since next to your hsv1 igg and the hsv2 igg it says " not ind" which I would take to mean as not indicated.

Chances are good that both of you are completely hsv negative if your general tests were negative though there is a chance that it's missing a hsv1 infection on either of you.

clear as mud?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:31 am 

Betsy, Thank you so much for all of your help. I think it is so wonderful that there are caring people like you that dedicate so much time to helping others. I'm glad that chances are good that I'm HSV negative, it however doesn't change my high-risk HPV status. I guess that's probably the lesser of the two evils though. Anyway, thank you so much for working so hard to answer my questions. Take care.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]