ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:04 pm 

Betsy,

I'm wondering if someone has Herpes Whitlow, in which nerve group does it live?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:04 pm 

a&p class was many moons ago for me but I'm pretty sure it's the cervical spinal nerves for that area of the body.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:20 pm 

thanks betsy!

so, say i was biting my nails before I knew i had hsv 1 (cold sores) or possibly touched myself before I know of the hsv 1 gential. and, i have broken cuticles from biting my nails. is it possible to transfer the hsv 1 to more than one finger? i have had all but one finger tingle on one hand and one on the other. when this happens my arm hurts and my finger tingles like crazy. no blisters, but i am on ST. it seems to stop the blisters in other areas for me as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:21 pm 

doubtful you'd have whitlow on more than 1 finger. I guess it could happen but the odds of that are really low.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:40 pm 

thanks!

then i guess 4 fingers on one hand and 1 on the other is probably crazy. but sure feels like it. my arm hurts, my palm gets sensitive then my finger tingles.

last question. it's been almost a year now since infection. due to the tingling fingers i'm scared to bite my nails (which i should stop anyway) or even lick food off my finger for that matter. and/or touch myself down below. do i have to avoid all these things for the rest of my life?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:24 am 

licking your fingers isn't so socially acceptable unless you are in a really good bbq joint...he he he

many things can cause the issues you've mentioned. follow up on them as needed with your provider.

no reason to give up touching yourself down yonder though from what you've posted :twisted:

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm 

ok, last question on this subject :-) Thanks again for your your replies.

Say I do have Whitlow. I read that the virus doesn't shed from your fingers since the skin is thick.

But, can I transmit the virus when my fingers are tingling?

Or, just when there is an active lesion?

My fingers tingle so often. I now only put my contacts in with my other hand. But, I am afraid to cook and touch hug or hold hands with children :-)

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 pm 

it's my understanding it's when there are active lesions only.

should you get active lesions, see your provider within 48 hours of their appearance for a pcr swab so you can find out if it is herpes or not so you can stop worrying.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]