ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: possible cold sore?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:04 am 

i was wondering if you could give me your insights.
a few weeks ago, i was making out and had protective sex with a girl from a bar. 2 days later, i saw one small bump on my lip. i stressed out so i squeezed the small bump until (i believe i saw white puss) it started to slightly bleed. a few hours later, i squeezed some more and saw a little bit of blood coming out. the next morning, it looked like an open skin (possible sore). i have read that cold sores could come out as one blister. i also read from yahoo q&a (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 724AAgRVf9) that if i did pick at the pimple too much it could be open skin. the day it was open, i took a shower and it started to burn when water or even small wind blew around the sore. however, one or possible two days after, it appear to close up and it didn't hurt at all. is this a normal syptoms of cold sores? also, i heard that condoms are not 100% protective. if i did get exposure in my groin area, can the virus appear on my penis? this is my first possible outbreak and was wondering if someone could give me their insights. i am waiting to get tested, but i heard i need to wait at min. 6 weeks. your insights will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: possible cold sore?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:23 pm 

Looking for answers on yahoo answers is like standing on the street corner with your pals and asking their advice. Most of the time you aren't going to get accurate answers. As usual, that thread astounds me with the misinformation in it....sigh.

Oral herpes is incredibly common. 1 out of every 2-3 adults in the US alone has it whether they get obvious cold sores to know it or not. If you've never been tested before , no way to know if you already had hsv1 orally and didn't realize it or not. Odds are if you don't, this isn't the first time you've ever kissed someone with it before either.

Genital herpes is also common. 1 out of every 4-5 adults has it in the US alone. condoms are not 100% effective in reducing the transmission of it. Odds are you aren't getting tested regularly for herpes even if you do ask for std testing regularly.

Your symptoms could be a cold sore or could be a regular ole pimple/ingrown facial hair from all the friction and irritation of kissing someone romantically. At this point since you've popped it and poked at it, no way to know. Should it reoccur, you can be seen within 48 hours of its appearance for a lesion culture for herpes.

you've had no symptoms in your genital area at this point. If you did contract hsv2 and are going to notice symptoms, they will occur within 3 weeks of being infected.

the odds of contracting hsv2 from a one time protected encounter are very low. If you need the peace of mind, get tested for herpes a few months from now to cover your bases. if you've never been tested before, no way to know what is a newly acquired infection or not. Even if you decide this risk wasn't worth testing for, be sure to get tested at some point to know your status if you've never been tested before.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:16 pm 

thank you for your quick response betsy.
i know i need to stop searching online, it is that i am super anxious and paranoid. i read somewhere (possibly med help) that if you are looking very hard to find a cut or bump, then it usually isn't a genital herpes. they say that i would notice immediately if i did have it, but in another website, they say that most people who have genital herpes may not know they have it. i had a weird situation where there was a big red bump on my shaft in the morning, but an hour later, it all but disappeared (very small bump). this doesn't seem to be g-hsv does it?
also, my first supposely cold sore was not bad at all. as i mentioned, i popped a small pimple / blister. the next morning it stung a little (water and wind), but the next day it was almost closed up if not already. i went to the doctor's office and his assistant said it didn't look like a classic case of oral herpes, but the doctor said "oh that looks like a cold sore" without looking closely. i read that once sores erupts, the blister turns yellow or red when it starts to heal. mine only had a white scab. is this normal? sorry for the long post. i am trying to set up an appointment with my doctor, but i have to wait several weeks to schedule a time and need some advice to help me get through. thank you in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm 

anything that is gone a hour or so later wasn't due to herpes.

could this be oral herpes? it could be. at this point nothing to do but follow up with testing if you are concerned.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 pm 

Hopefully my last question. I was using the restroom and I saw some flaky white skin on the head of my penis. Is this a sign of genital herpes? Oh and is small cuts / dry skin be consider genital herpes? Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:51 pm 

this doesn't sound like a herpes issue genitally either.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]