ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: sex as a trigger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:46 am 

I was diagnosed with Genital HSV 1 last October after a mistake I made which I wish I could take back. I had a very painful outbreak, my doctor put me on valacyclovir for 3 months after. I stopped taking it end of February, had to go to my doctor's office for a pap smear, which for me is always a painful experience :( Just a few days after that my second outbreak started which although was mostly just itching and no pain, lasted about 10 days, I didn't take any medicine, I wanted to allow my body to develop enough antibodies to prevent future outbreaks. My questions are:

1) Since both the initial OB and the second one seemed to be triggered by something painful entering my vagina, does that mean every time i have sex I will have an OB?

2) Did my second OB happen because I stopped taking suppressive therapy which means I am one of the unlucky few who will get Obs often without therapy?

3) Is there anyway to build up my immunity so i don't get frequent OBs? I am a fairly healthy individual, starting taking multivitamins, eating healthier etc. Anything else I can do?

It just worries me because every website out there says that MOST people with genital HSV 1 will never have a recurrence and out of those who do they only have 1 or 2 more, I don't want to be one of the unlucky few who has them more often, especially since I am about to get married soon to a man who is negative for both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: sex as a trigger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:28 pm 

just itching, no pain and no obvious lesions probably wasn't your herpes reoccurring to be honest. Should this happen again, go and be seen and get a proper work up done.

the answer to all 3 of your questions is no.

also , not treating your herpes has absolutely nothing to do with you developing protective antibodies. you started developing those the moment you were infected and they develop regardless of if you ever treat your herpes or not. The herpes antivirals just disrupt the viral replication process and don't affect your body's natural antibody response.

keep asking questions as you have them!

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:38 pm 

actually there were obvious lesions just no pain, mainly just itching so i am confident with was a recurrent outbreak. Compared to the initial OB which was horribly painful this one wasn't painful at all, just lasted about 10 days (guess due to my misunderstanding about antiviral therapy :oops: )

I am just really worried that since I got a second outbreak so soon (just 4 and 1/2 months after my first) that I am going to get them frequently.

Also, just to confirm, are you saying that sex won't be a trigger? I am really worried that we won't be able to have a normal sex like due to frequent OBs especially if they are being triggered by sex :(

I also heard that having genital HSV1 it is not necessary or even helpful to take valtrex for suppressive therapy since it does not recur or shed asymptomatically that often, is that true? Would it be smart to do it anyways since he is negative for 1 & 2? We really don't want to use condoms since we will be married and in a long term relationship, is there anything we can do to keep him protected?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:55 pm 

no, this doesn't mean that you'll get them frequently.

what makes genital exams/pap testing so painful for you if you don't mind my asking?

we don't have info as to the effectiveness of suppressive therapy in reducing ob's or reducing transmission to a partner fo rhsv1 genitally. it doesn't reoccur very often for the vast majority of folks who have it. it also doesn't shed very often. most folks don't get enough bang for their buck so to say to make it worthwhile.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:06 pm 

I hope this isn't more information than you asked for :S But for me, the initial part of the speculum entering my vagina really hurts, same with sex, sex isn't painful, but when he first enters inside me, it hurts. I am not quite sure why. And the area where it hurts, right at the entrance, is where my main ulcer was the first time and this second time. I guess that is why I associated the 2 together, thinking that the pain causes the OBs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 pm 

no worries about being tmi here, we talk about all parts of the genital area :)

there are massage techniques you can use to slowly relax the muscles so that they are more relaxed. your provider also has more than 1 size speculum - typically they just don't bother to get the smaller ones unless you ask. also have you talked to your provider about this problem? There are surgical ways to fix this or if it's a fairly new issue, perhaps something is going on that needs treated too. sometimes even just rubbing topical estrogen cream around the area regularly helps too. why have pain if you don't have to?

hard to tell if this is really a recurrence or just trauma from the speculum from the sounds of things. unfortunately they can't use lube when they do speculum exams but they can use smaller speculums as well as take the time to massage your vaginal opening to relax it :)

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:56 pm 

I never thought of asking my doctor, she knows its uncomfortable for me since its hard for me to hide it :P but she never seemed to think it was a big deal. And the thing is its not only their speculum its when he enters me, that first thrust hurts! even inserting a tampon. I just assumed its because I am not very sexually active, I never have been, my relationships have always been long distance, so I go months before having sex, so I assumed that its just painful because I am not very active?

Also i am sure it was a recurrence because besides the lesion at the entrance of the vagina, I had a couple around it too. I really wish it weren't and I would be among those who never have a recurrence but I don't think I am . I just hope this one recurrence was all that i am going to get :( I just want a normal married life, not one where i am constantly worrying about another outbreak or about passing this on to him. Sorry for venting :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]