ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 pm 

I have had herpes for 4 years now and for 2 of those years I was with someone that understood and was ok with it, but he died last September. So now I'm having to tell others about it and I have already been having people shy away from me like I'm a diseased rat. How I got it was by being drugged and rapped by someone who I thought was my friend. So when I talk about it with someone I choke up, turn away and want to cry. What do I do? How should I tell someone because I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Maybe it's the way I tell others, but I don't know what it is. I'm trying to be honest with others and give them the change to see if they want to be with me or not after telling them, but I haven't found someone like that since my ex. There is this guy that I have been seeing and I want to be honest with him before we take things to far but I don't know how to tell him. Sometimes I feel alone and really I don't know what to do. :|

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:17 pm 

Talking about std's and testing is something we all should be doing before we are intimate with a new partner. when I have my "talk", I don't start out talking about my herpes. I start it out talking about if they've ever been tested for std's and if so when and do they know what for. I also talk about condom use and birth control too. You don't want to find out a new partner doesn't like condoms when things are all hot and heavy and you might say ok to sex when you typically use them. Same with you don't want to discuss birth control after the pregnancy test comes back + either!! then I get into my herpes. I let them know what I have and where. I let them know what precautions I plan on taking and how that significantly lowers their risk. I then ask them what they know about herpes and do they have any questions and go from there. Remember, this is a discussion and not a confession.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:54 pm 

Thanks, but when do you think it's a good time to bring that up in a relationship?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 pm 

It's different for everyone. Some folks will need to be having the "talk" on the very first date, others might be waiting months. Do it before you are sexual with a partner ( because it's as much about your protection as theirs ) but when you feel comfortable discussing these sorts of things with them.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 am 

Hey girlie!
Just take your time and get to know the guy before you jump into the discussion. In my experience guys take it fine once you explain it to them. BUT if it doesn't work out people can be cruel. There is a still HUGE stigmatism with STD's!!! And that is because people simply aren't educated enough. I work at a HIV clinic and still didn't know alot about herpes until I tested positive for herpes 1. Good luck with everything, and REMEMBER if some guy can't handle whats going on, there are plenty of great guys who can!!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:14 pm 

Can you find me a great guy who can handle it? Not having much luck with that department... :(

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:12 pm 

Have you checked out the herpes dating sites?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 pm 

Yes, I have. The only men on there are in their 40-50's. I'm 29....

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:11 am 

See in my area I have the exact opposite problem - only men on them are in their 20's....lol. Maybe we need to switch houses?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:48 pm 

I'm from Massachusetts, where are you from? lol

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]