ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:28 pm 

To try to make this a concise story: Yesterday I went to the gyno for a yeast infection and he said the couple of red bumps (like pimples) looked like herpes so he did a culture. Now i have to wait until sometime next week for the results and I just don't know what to do with myself. He did say it may be yeast though. My question is, is it possible to only have herpes outbreaks when you have a vaginal yeast infection? I have never experienced this at any other time besides when i have a yeast infection and to me they didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary just an overgrowth of yeast. I am so scared, I wish I'd just never went to the doctor yesterday. If you have any advice for me, please - i appreciate it so much. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:43 pm 

I'm sure thinking that ignorance is bliss seems like the better option to you right now but really it is better to know what your status is even if it's hsv2+. Trust me when I say it's much better to find out this way then to find out after you've transmitted it to a partner- been there, done that one. Have you ever had a herpes blood test before to know what your status is? Chances are good that your lesion culture will come back negative - they have a high false negative rate so if it does - you should follow up with a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your status is.

Herpes has been unfairly stigmatized unfortunately - 1 in 4 females has it - it's far more common than most folks suspect. Also for the majority of people who have it - it can be controlled and with a few simple precautions you can significantly reduce the chances of a partner contracting it. There is terrific info on herpes here at asha as well as in the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com/freebook.html

If you have a regular partner - encourage them to get a type specific herpes igg blood test too so you can make informed decisions about what precautions are needed, if any.

Did the doctor examine your vaginal secretions under the micrscope to check for yeast and bacterial infections? did they prescribe anything for yeast and/or herpes ?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:55 pm 

What's hsv2+ - i've only read about hsv-1 & hsv-2? The bumps just appeared the day before I went to the doctor. He checked for yeast and he prescribed diflucan for the yeast infection. He also gave me famvir to take that day (3 pills at once). I just wish I knew the results now so I could stop second guessing myself - its so frustrating and lonely feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 pm 

Mika,

HSV2+ only means HSV2 positive. It's the same thing. Yeast infections can cause some blistering but Ms. B is right. It's better to know than to not to know.

Famvir is a good antiviral and well- tolerated. Taking 3 pills at once is a normal dosage.

Check out www.famvir.com for more information.I take this drug for HSV 1 and so far it's worked well.

Try not to worry. No matter the outcome we are all here to support one another and you too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:33 am 

actually the dose of famvir should've been 250mg 3 times a day for 7-10 days since this is assumed to be a new infection for you. You weren't given the proper dose if you were only given 3 pills to take in 1 day. Are you sure they gave you famvir or did they give you diflucan for the yeast infection?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:26 pm 

the doctor gave me diflucan and also famvir but only 3 pills. i asked if that was really all i needed and he said until we find out the results of the test that's it. when he was doing the examination he told me that i must of had these before (which i did have the same thing with other yeast infections) because the first occurence usually only has one blister and i had about 4 or 5. Since i've been reading more about it, it sounds to me like the first one is usually the worst and the outbreaks are usually less, is that right or is my doctor right?
I do realize that it is better to know than just be clueless about it. yesterday i was actually gonna call the doctor and tell them to cancel the test but then as i read more (and i found this website) i became a little more comfortable (still terrified though) with the idea and knew its better to know and get treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:32 pm 

In most cases the first outbreak is usually the worst with recurring outbreaks less severe. Things will get better with time and with more information you gather. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:14 am 

It sounds like your doctor doesn't know a whole heck about herpes in general :( Usually they say multiple lesions for the first ob and then single lesions with recurrences though it's not abnormal for it to be the other way either. It's different for everyone and can differ from ob to ob.

He also isn't doing you any good by giving you the dose of famvir he did- even if he was being presumptious enough to think that this isn't a new infection for you and was assuming it had to be a recurrence - it should've been 1gm twice a day for 1 day for famvir for eisodic therapy.

If you do have genital herpes -I'd find a new doctor because this one doesn't sound up to date enough to give you proper treatment :( As I recommended - follow up on this with a type specific herpes igg blood test too if your lesion culture is negative. The peace of mind will be well worth it.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:46 pm 

My culture came back positive for type 1. I'm a little scared as to what's fact and what's fiction right now. I think I read that type 1 genitally usually has few recurrences and its not as easily spread. Could anyone help clear the fog a bit? Thanks so much for your help to this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:56 pm 

forgot to ask - i have read that flu symptoms can occur with an outbreak, is this for the initial outbreak or everytime? I only ask because I was extremely sick (fever, cough, etc.) when this outbreak occurred and I wonder if that is what I will be experiencing every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 pm 

Hi Mika,

I'm sorry to hear that you had HVS-1 genitally but the good thing is that you know and can face it.

I also have HSV-1 genitally and from my own experience., the first time it came out I felt really bad as if I had the flu. I was achy, shivering and felt awful. This only happened the first OB. I was exposed to HSV-1 orally as a kid but had no idea is was possible to spread the HVS-1 to the genital region. The first outbreak was the worst and my first real outbreak was January 2007 and I hadn't had sex since 2005. My OB/Gyn and NP did both blood test and viral culture and confirmed it. The GYN did let me know that outbreaks are far and few between and that over 70% of the population will have HSV-1 by the time they reach their 40s. Keep in mind that is still possible to contract HSV-2 because your body has no anibodies to HSV-2. Also it is less likely to spreak HSV-1 because most people may have HSV-1 and outbreaks and viral shedding are less frequent.

I only experience the flu like symptoms once so hopefully you won't expereince them again. I can tell you that you will be more in tune with the symptoms of an on coming OB .

With HSV1 I 've only had 2 outbreaks and no more since January 2007.

Things will get better and I hope my message brings you some ease.

Take Care :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:19 pm 

Thanks so much Isis. A few more questions I have, just a little confused on what I've read. I've read that it is less likely to spread hsv-1 genitally to someone else genitally because it's not in its preferred location (the mouth) - is this true or have I read it wrong? My other concern is knowing that there is less likelihood of spreading it, I assume this is only because of the fact of less outbreaks. During an outbreak the likelihood of spreading it is not actually reduced because it is type 1, is it - the chance of spreading is pretty high during this time? I believe my outbreak is over (no more bumps and no pain - there is still a slight red color in one tiny spot but thats it) but I've never had one before to know for sure. I only had it for a week. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:17 pm 

What you read is true. It is less likely to transmit HSV1 genitally because it is out of its place of preference ( the mouth ) and many of us will contract HSV1 by adulthood . As a result, the body has built up antibodies to fight the already present virus. This doesn't mean that transmission genitally can't happen. Also there is less viral shedding with HSV1 in the genital region which may account for the reduction of transmission.

Whenever you have an outbreak it is best to avoid contact because the virus is actively producing at that time so transmission is at its peak. Also if you feel any trigger symptoms, it is best to avoid contact because the virus is "awake" and working. In these crucial moments, take your antiviral medication.

Also it sound like your body is "shutting down" the virus and you are in the healing phase. The area where the redness is, will begin to return to normal so be patient. The first outbreak is the toughest and the worst but the ones to follow will be less severe and with HSV-1 less frequent.

Keep in mind the first year of outbreaks can be frequent but they should subside over time, if not consider suppressive therapy.

I hope this helps and if you got questions, we are all here :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]