ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:05 pm 

I was wondering if it's ok to just switch from acyclovir to valtrex. a new dr gave me a prescription for valtrex. i don't have any side effects from acyclovir, but still tingle often, just no ob's. should valtrex work the same?

i'd also like to hear from people who have tried both.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:02 am 

valtrex is an acyclovir prodrug. greatly simplified, you swallow valtrex and your body converts it into acyclovir. Because of this unique delivery system, you get more active acyclovir in the body so you don't have to take it as often as you do acyclovir.

You can switch to valtrex, not an issue.

how often are you getting tingling? are you male or female?

I've used both, I am cheap so I use acyclovir most of the time. I take other medications 2x/day already so taking acyclovir 2x/day isn't an issue for me. the biggest benefit with valtrex is convenience.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 am 

i get tingling at least once a month. i have it orally and genital. often it's in both places at once, sometimes one will start before the other. but once one location tingles the other seems to follow. i also get tingles on my fingers which lately seem weekly. honestly, it's getting too much to handle and it's been a year since diagnosis. i have hsv 1.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 pm 

your tingling being oral and genital as well as your fingers, makes it likely that it's something else going on. have you seen a neurologist at all?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:30 am 

no, i haven't seen a neurologist. i don't have insurance right now. could the something else going on be stress? every time i stress i tingle for sure. i'm going through a divorce, loss of job, herpes...tough time. i try not to stress but it's inevitable.

i also get prodrome before the tingles. for the oral and/or fingers my shoulders/upper back start a weird tingling crawling sensation, then the the tingles start. for the fingers after the crawling sensation my arm starts to hurt, then my palm is sensitive, then my finger(s) tingle. and, for the genital my lower back or side will hurt a little before the tingles. sometimes the butt and sensitivity in the back of my thighs.

but, when i get insurance i'll find out what's going on. i'm still having weird white patches and red nicks and burning that come and go with the tongue.

wow. i'm a mess!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:24 pm 

no you aren't a mess....lol.

why not stop suppressive therapy for a month or two and see what happens?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:32 pm 

ya, i thought about that. yesterday i forgot to take my meds in the morning, at about 3 PM i was reminded by some lovely butt tingles. so, as soon as i stop the tingles come. i took the meds and the tingles stopped after a few hours. i guess i'm scared to stop completely for fear of breaking out in three locations.

thanks for not thinking i'm a mess. i'm usually a hard working, money making, healthy individual.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:04 pm 

typically hsv1 genitally doesn't reoccur very often. why not stop suppressive therapy just in case you are one of the few who have neuralgia's from it? it'll also give you something to compare symptoms to - months while on it, months when off it.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:07 pm 

interesting. i didn't know that a side effect of acyclovir could be neuralgia. thanks for the info. i always thought my neuralgia was due to herpes :twisted:

i'll give it a try once my life calms down a little. i am one of the those people who will always get the one in a million side effect. hey, i got h from 10 minutes of oral sex, once. one in a million chance.

i'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 pm 

betsy,

can you post a little more info about the possibility of neuralgia from ST? I've googled it and can't seem to find anything. I'd like to be able to take the info to planned parenthood.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:34 pm 

you won't find anything on it in the literature. anecdotal evidence from posters over the years is where the info comes from.

as I said before, this isn't just a herpes issue going on. continue your work up to try to get to the bottom of things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:38 pm 

thanks betsy! that makes sense. first hand experience...you have a ton of that. thanks again for all your help.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:23 pm 

Hi Betsy,

I'm getting ready to see a dr finally and I wanted to make sure I am clear on all the info. I posted my side effects on an acyclovir website and they said that they could be caused by the herpes? that herpes can cause peripheral neuropathy? you had said that the acyclovir could cause peripheral neuropathy? want to make sure i have my facts straight. And, of course, when i google both "peripheral neuropathy and herpes" and "peripheral neuropahty and acyclovir" i get contradicting information. seems that it can be caused by both?

Here is my post: "tingles in the extremities"
http://www.askdocweb.com/acyclovir39.html

And, the wikipedia lists herpes as a cause of peripheral neuropathy as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_neuropathy

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:27 pm 

At this point I recommend paying the $15 fee to ask Terri Warren on medhelp about your situation. http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Herpes/show/339 is the link to her forum there. She is affiliated with asha and is involved with herpes research and acyclovir research.

herpes doesn't cause peripheral neuropathy.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:24 pm 

valtrex has been available as a generic for 1 1/2 years now.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]