ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 pm 

My friend was recently diagnosed with HSV-2. She has it genitally and had her first outbreak last week. While she was having her first outbreak we were hanging out and we were sharing a drink. She didnt know she had herpes at the time; she found out today and she called me to tell me. My question is.. should I be worried that she could have transmitted the virus to me orally from sharing a drink. She said she has never had anything around her mouth but I was wondering if she had oral sex with her boyfriend (which is the person who gave it to her) recently could she have had the active virus on her mouth. Am I worrying about nothing or should I be concerned? I already have oral HSV 1 and I was thinking that that might give me some kind of immunity from it. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:03 am 

sharing a drink is not a risk for genital herpes. odds are she doesn't have hsv2 orally.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:34 pm 

So you are saying I dont really have to worry about it transmitting to my mouth after sharing a drink? Sorry for being so annoying I just have been reading things online that say that herpes can be transmitted by sharing cups, utensils, cigarettes, etc...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:49 pm 

correct, you were never at risk from your friend.

fyi - as an adult, oral herpes is almost exclusively transmitted through romantic type kisses, not from sharing food, drink or cigarette's.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]