ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Underinformed MDs?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:34 am 

Hi. I got my first cold sore ever last week, on the corner of my nose. At the same time, I had sore throat and flu-like symptoms. Also, at the time, I was feeling VERY irritated in my genital area. I am 49 years old, and I thought it was due to having sex without enough lubrication. But the irritation did not subside and in fact started to get worse.

I've been to two gyn's and one colorectal surgeon (unrelated appointment I had to check on hemorrhoids). None of these docs thought I had genital herpes. The first one gave me a drug for yeast, which did nothing. He also tested my urine for a UTI. The in-office result was negative, but we are waiting on the lab results. He attempted to culture a few areas of my vulva, but he said he doubted it would come back positive because he did not know what to culture.

I do believe all these docs are wrong and that I have been infected in both the oral and genital area. What do you think? The docs seem to think I am totally paranoid, yet they have no explanation for my symptoms - just shrug their shoulders.

On the night before the cold sore came out, I had sex and used my own saliva for stimulating myself at the same time. My question is - during the prodrome of a first ob of hsv 1, is the saliva infectious?

Also, I do have a strange, very painful pimple (very small, looks like a whitehead), on my inner right thigh. I showed it to one of the gyns, and he laughed at me. I almost want to go to a dermatologist who might be better informed. Perhaps s/he could culture this "pimple." But is it possible to get a herpes/pimple thing on the first ob on the inside of my thigh? Or does it take longer for the virus to lodge in the nerves and then migrate to another location?

I need to know if I have the infection genitally so I can inform others and avoid spreading the infection. What should I do? Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Underinformed MDs?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:17 pm 

did you have the lesion on your nose cultured to know that it's herpes by chance?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:23 pm 

I did not have the corner of my nose cultured, but the doc said he was pretty sure that was herpes. There was also a VERY small blister (like a whitehead) between the lesion and my lip. This small whitehead looking thing looks like the one I have on my inner thigh. I would try to pop the one on my thigh - to see if it is in fact an in-grown hair or something, but I've read that it is not good to pop the blisters if they are herpes. Is that true?

Anyway, the thing on my thigh is independent from the burning and irritation on my vulva/anal area. I still have it after about 8 days, but it is going away. I have also had a mild sore throat. I took valtrex for 5 days. The cold sore on my nose/mouth area went away in about 6 days. It started as a whitehead/pimple - but very painful. I tried to pop it. Then it turned into several painful blisters, which crusted yellow and became flaking skin.

I took the IgG and IgM blood tests and will find out about the genital culture on Thursday. Do you think I should go to a dermatologist to get the whitehead-looking thing on my inner thigh cultured?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:48 pm 

too late for a lesion culture on your thigh. they need to be done sooner rather than later.

did they gyn do actual testing for yeast and bacteria vaginally on you or just give you yeast medication because you had burning?

it was too early for your blood work. the igm herpes test is falsely positive 1/3 of the time so we don't recommend its use. Of course this might not be a newly acquired infection for you if this is herpes, the igg blood test will help us determine that part too.

has your partner been tested for herpes yet?

should your symptoms come back orally, be seen and get a culture done within 48 hours of their appearance. if the culture is negative your provider should consider a bacterial culture.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:16 pm 

My partner is getting tested next week. He used to get oral herpes now and then but hasn't had an outbreak in a while.

My other question is how long should I wait before kissing or having sex with my infected partner? I do not want to add to my viral load. Since I don't yet have full immunity, I am very frightened of making my situation worse.

I am also afraid of auto-inoculation. I am convinced that I infected myself genitally by using my saliva as lubrication, because my partner and I had not had oral sex for several weeks. I really rubbed myself with saliva. How I regret that. This rash is more painful than anything I have ever had. And it doesn't seem to be going away.

A couple of years ago, I got the IgG test for HSV 1 and 2 and both were negative.

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 pm 

Sorry, forgot to answer one of your questions. The doc did do a yeast culture. And they are testing the urine for bacteria (I think). Not sure if they are doing any bacterial cultures from the skin culture. Is that worth doing? But it all seems pointless. I'm pretty sure I'm infected. I just don't want to make my situation worse!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:11 pm 

I'm pretty sure I'm helping you on 2 forums now. I'm gracefromhhp on medhelp too :)

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:24 am 

Oh, thank you. Should I stick to one forum?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 am 

Yet another question - is there anything I can do about the pain and burning during urination? I feel like I have to pee all the time. It is very uncomfortable. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:06 am 

yes -sticking to one forum will help me help you best :) how about this one?

I'd give your doc a call and see about an urine test. at this point it might be an uti and not herpes causing this.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:56 pm 

OK, the doc did the UTI test, and it (along with the culture) will come back Thursday. I will post it. But honestly, I have had UTIs and they are nothing like what I have now, which is a generalized pain throughout my anogenital region. I'm getting the impression you do not think the genital symptoms are herpes, which of course I hope is true, but I it's hard to believe, especially as I read that most infections are missed precisely because people don't associate what I'm feeling now with herpes.

I know I already asked this, and maybe no one knows and there is no good answer, but seems like it is entirely possible and likely that I could auto-inoculate myself with my saliva at the very start of a primary hsv 1 on the mouth area, if I transmit the saliva within a couple of seconds and rub it into my genital area. Do you think this is possible? Or do you think this is very unlikely? I found a case report of a boy who developed oral herpes during a scuba class that involved exchanging saliva covered breathing apparatus with another boy who was having an outbreak. I just want to understand the issue better. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:08 pm 

The pain is really unbearable. I think I will find a good STD doc in NYC. This is crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:08 pm 

this could all be hsv1 related but it also could be other things too, including a bacterial infection. Call tomorrow for test results and see what they show. if nothing shows, be seen again. it's really unfortunate they didn't culture your nasal lesion when you were first seen too - might've given you better answers quicker.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:20 pm 

I am absolutely clean for bacteria and yeast. Nothing in the urine. IgG and M all negative. The only thing positive is that I had my first oral Herpes sore that lasted about 6 days, along with terrible anogenital burning and itching, including frequent and uncomfortable urination that lasted about 11 days (it's mostly gone now). I also had a very painful whitehead looking thing on my right inner thigh that is also mostly gone now. I will go back for the IgG in 6 weeks and I am sure it will be positive. I am also sure that I infected myself genitally simultaneously, but I guess the test will never be able to confirm this. My only last question is how a culture should be done genitally, should these symptoms return. If I get another whitehead looking thing, would it always be painful if it was herpes? How soon after its appearance should I try for a culture? Is there any technique for culturing widespread areas of the vulva to collect virus that could be anywhere? Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:03 am 

should you get more symptoms either orally or genitally, be seen within 48 hours of their appearance. the lesion cultures vary, depending on which ones they do, but pcr swabs are literally rubbing the lesion with a sterile q tip, really easy to do.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next