ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:33 pm 

My doctor told me that u can only test positive for herpes if u are having an outbreak @ the time of the test. Is that true? I was told i had herpes type 2 which is gential herpes. I had like 3 outbreaks in 6months so now i'm on meds daily.

How do i move on with my life?? I'm divorced of almost 2yrs. Got herpes last year from an ex boyfriend. I have 2 young kids. I wanna have a family again and another baby, but it seems that I cant find someone to even date and have a relationship with 1st. I feel like no one good will ever want me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:31 am 

so what testing have you had done so far? did you have a lesion culture of active symptoms at all or just visual diagnosis?

Your provider is wrong - you can get a type specific herpes igg blood test whether you have active symptoms or not.

why wouldn't someone want to be with you just because you have genital herpes? You can control it for the most part with medications. You can get the risk to a male partner of contracting it down to 1%/year by taking precautions.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:11 am 

When i had an outbreak I went in and they did a culture test and tested lesion. both were positive. when i had my 3rd outbreak that was really bad and worse than the 1st and 2nd I went back in and they said it was herpes again and there was no reason to test me again. thats when i was put on daily meds. I know that i have herpes type 1 cold sores because i get them often. My grandma has them my dad has them i have them and my son has them. I also have cvid..but now that i'm on treatments i havent had any cold sores. Maybe i will call and talk to the nurse about the blood test. thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:21 am 

the lesion culture was + for hsv2. what other test was +? if you didn't have a blood test yet, no reason to get one if you have a + lesion culture that was typed for hsv2.

definitely get tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too to make sure that neither of them are complicating this. could be the reason why your last ob was more severe. bv in women doesn't always present with discharge or odor so you need proper testing for it. it makes hsv2 more active and can mimic recurrences too.

being immunosuppressed, they actually should've put you on daily suppressive therapy once your culture came back +.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:05 pm 

the std culture test was + and the lesions test was + those are the only test that i had done.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]