ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:46 pm 

Hi. I am new to the forum and was diagnosed with Herpes about 2 weeks ago. I was very shocked when my gyn called me with this information because I have never had an outbreak. The only sore/bump that I've ever noticed is maybe from shaving. Herpes never crossed my mind! I'm assuming its HSV2 because I had blood work done and she says that I would have been infected @least six months for it 2 show up. She said something about antibodies. All of this talk about igg and igm is sooo confusing. Reading others post, I guess I need 2 know the numbers. I have never had any OB. It is very hard for me 2 believe that I have herpes! Should I get retested or should I jus let you know what my"numbers" are? Another question I have is can I spread this 2 a sexual partner thru oral sex? Can my sexual partner get herpes from performing oral sex on me? I was prescribed Valtrex but have started taking it because I really don't want 2 believe that I have herpes. Another question if it can be spread orally both ways as I mentioned earlier will taking the Valtrex help me from spreading it? I have not been sexually active since I was diagnosed. And I've been trying 2 figure out if I had 2 been have had it for 6 months does it mean that my sex partner of 8 months gave it to me? I'm afraid to even mention it to him. Or maybe I gave it to him and didn't know I had it. I go 2 the doc reguraly and get std testing as well but I wasn't aware that herpes testing is not given unless asked!!! That's crazy and if I did have it previously I could have avoided giving it to him if I would have known. Its unfair and misleading to think that ur getting tested for ALL Stds and not. In that case I have never been tested for it. Well maybe I have because I always say test me for everything! I'm sorry I'm jus going on and on but I have so many questions and I'm confused and sooo new 2 this! I cried for the first couple of days and after that I was determined 2 know more about this virus. The topic of sex makes me uncomfortable now, but there's this girl that I really like and I don't want to pass it on to her by going down on her! Please help me!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:31 am 

I can best help if you call the clinic today and get the actual numeric results - ie hsv1 igg 4.4 and hsv2 igg 5.4 or whatever they are.

Indeed your current partner needs tested too. You can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 pm 

Thank you. I called the doctor and will have numbers tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:25 pm 

I'll be out of town friday but I should be able to answer posts on saturday :)

betsy

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:07 pm 

When I spoke with the doc's nurse she said that my doctor said that there were no numbers jus that I'm negative for oral and positive for genital. I scheduled an appointment to discuss lab results because I told the nurse that I had been researching and I'm reading a lot numbers like the example you gave me above. The only thing she mentioned was chronic and acute.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 am 

I'm pretty sure you didn't have a herpes WB done so there should be numbers. If the lab didn't report with numeric results, ask your provider to give them a call and ask them for them. You only want the igg results. A + igm result is pretty much meaningless.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:22 am 

Ok. I'll be sure 2 ask them 2 ask for the igg numbers. What is WB? Should I get those numbers now or should I jus wait for my appt. On the 10th?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:45 pm 

the herpes western blot is what we abbreviate as the WB . It's a particular kind of blood test.

I'd call today or tomorrow and get the ball rolling on getting the numeric results. hopefully you can have them , I can let you know what to do next and when you go to be seen on the 10th you have a plan in place :)

betsy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:54 pm 

Okay so I've had to reschedule the appt. For the 10th because the doctor has some appts. Outside of the office during the time that my appt was scheduled. I went ahead and started taking the suppression therapy. Valtrex 1GM Tab is what it says. I've been taking it for about 2 weeks now. I shaved my vagina area so I don't know if the "lumps/bumps" was caused by it or if it was an outbreak. I've seen posts of people talking about tingling before an outbreak or some of that nature but I experienced some like crawling/tingling under my skin and was tripping because I thouight something was on me. Will you experience this feeling anywhere on the body? I also experienced itching in the vagina area before the bumps as well. The bump doesn't look like a sore jus looks like a bump and it hurts a lil if I touch it. Does all OB look like I think the word is open lesion is what I think I read about. There's only one bump. I also read from the herpes handbook link something about lmyph nodes? Excuse my misspelling of these words but I think you still might know what I'm trying to ask. I've also read some older posts on here where the topic was oral sex. Can I never enjoy oral sex anymore without passing this virus 2 anyone else? I'm still not sexuaally active and the talk of sex kinda makes me uncomfortable now. I just wanna know these things to better educate myself. Another question is can I touch myself down below, you know pleasing myself and be safe without I guess doing any kind of harm? Sorry about the questions but these are some that I had for my doc but have to wait for a later date.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:04 pm 

Oh the medicine I was prescribed is the generic form of Valtrex its Valacyclovirr 1GM TAB

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:14 am 

If you tested + on the blood test for herpes then that means that you had this prior to that so you shouldn't expect to have more than 1 lesion at a time and you shouldn't expect to have lymph node swelling or anything like that. Some pain/itching/tingling prior to the lesion would be what you'd get at this point. the bump you've described,doesn't sound like it's herpes .

Any luck getting them to call the lab for the actual results yet?

betsy

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:28 am 

No mam. No luck on that! When they called me about the appointment I was @work and completley forgot about it until I got to looking in my calendar to come up with a good reschedule appoinntment and they were closed by that time. I'll try again Monday because they are closed the weekends.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]