ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:54 pm 

So I was just diagnosed with HSV 2 last month, and I haven't been taking it too well. I started dating this guy a month before I found out and he was one of the first people i told. He is still around so that's good. I am still afraid he will leave.

My doctor has been horrible with the news, he practically told me and said to find information online and that was it. He hasn't talked to me about medication or any other things that i could do that wouldhelp me. I am trying to absorb all the information i can find. It is overwhelming and scary.

I was negative for HSV 1 but lately my face around my mouth has been tingling like a rash is about to start. I used to get really bad rashes around my mouth when i was like 12, 13 years old but the dermatologist just figured it was an allergic reaction. But two weeks ago I had that feeling again, but nothing really came of it. I only have like an irritated feeling on my lips and it is a little red. And i also had a pimple on the corner of my mouth before the tingling, irritated feeling. It was white and it hurt. i popped it, probably wasn't a good idea. Could it be hsv 1 or is it possible to have hsv 2 oral (even though I've never performed oral sex) This concerns me more for the guy that I am dating, I would hate for him to get any of this. I just need help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:01 pm 

http://www.westoverheights.com/genital_ ... dbook.html is a free resource on herpes if you wanted more info than is here on the main asha website on herpes. it's free to read online or print out at home. the patient counseling video there is also helpful if your provider didn't already give you the valtrex packet at your appointment with it in it.

had you had sex with your current partner prior to being diagnosed? regardless of if you did or not, has he been tested yet to know his own status?

how did they diagnose you?

betsy

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:43 pm 

Thanks for the link. My partner and I haven't had sex, and I actually don't know his status with herpes, with other things he is clean. We kind of just been talking about my situation.

They diagnosed me with a blood test the IgG-EIA. It said positive 5.0IV what does the number mean? It also said that the result are presumptive and should be confirmed by another method, but i had another outbreak this past couple of weeks so i think that confirms it. Its just hard to get an appointment with my doctor and I don't have health insurance so I feel like that's another obstacle or I might just be making excuse

Do you think I should be concerned with the tingling on my face or could it have been an allergic reaction to something?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:26 am 

many things can cause facial tingling. if it bothers you, be seen to try to figure out what is going on.

so that was a hsv2 igg specifically or a combined hsv1 and hsv2 igg? if it was a hsv2 igg of 5.1, no need for additional testing.

Most folks aren't getting tested for herpes. ask your new bf to get a copy of his last std testing results to see exactly what he was tested for. Most times when folks ask for std testing, they only get tested for 2 or 3 std's but assume it's the whole shebang.

ask any questions you have :)

betsy

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:47 pm 

Thanks for the info, yes igg was for HSV-2. And i did speak to him about it I told him that many people have it and don't know it, that it would be a good idea to know and two days later he went and got tested, so we will see what the results are. He's been really supportive and has done some of his own research and passed information along to me. I'm also almost done reading the managing herpes book you guys published and it has really helped me a lot. Thank you for having this website and this forum. If i didn't have all this i don't know how i would be right now. i didn't take the news well at all, but i am started to feel a little better about it

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:51 am 

well it's certainly not something you ever want to be told you have but it is very common and fairly manageable thankfully :)

keep asking questions as you have them :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]