ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: antivirals shortage?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:38 am 

Has anyone else had this issue? My Dr. just recently switched me from Acyclovir to Fam. b/c the pharmacy told us that there's been a shortage of Acyvolvir and Valtrex the last several months and the manufacturers have been having troubles keeping it in stock.

They (pharm. and Dr.) also told me that there's no difference between the three medications. But in my "research," everything I've read says that Fam. is effective only in the INITIAL outbreaks, not successive ones; anyone had any experience with that?

Betsy, your take?

Post subject: Re: antivirals shortage?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:57 am 

shortage should just about be over as of this month. there's a few posts about it here somewhere. Seems west coast is hardest hit more than the east coast.

famvir works the same for the most part. It doesn't reduce shedding as much in folks who didn't have obvious lesions but in folks who had had obvious lesions, it works just fine. valtrex is also generic now so if your insurance makes generic's cheaper, ask to switch to that for just once daily suppressive therapy dosing ( more convenient than 2x/day famvir ).

betsy

Post subject: Re: antivirals shortage?
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:17 pm 

Arrrgh... Okay, so my Dr. won't switch me back to Acyclovir, or to Valtrex, as the pharm keeps saying that the shortage is non-ending... Anyway-

Is this just a huge coincidence, or...?? I've have gHSV2 for >a year now (wow, it'll be TWO in late August!), and been on ST since my initial ob. Even when I've missed a couple days, sometimes up to a week, I haven't had an ob since then. Now four days into Famvir, and my little friend has reared his ugly head! Uuuuuuuurgh! I'm not really under any more stress than usual, my eating/sleeping habits haven't changed (actually, I'm eating BETTER)...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]