ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:45 pm 

I have a question do you think there wil ever be a cure since they have a suppessant for this i found out last year that i have hsv2 and i have been looking for a place to talk to someone who has this I dont feel dirty i just want to talk to someone other than my dr

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:37 pm 

Talk away :)

do I think there will be a cure for herpes? Well not anytime soon to be honest. We don't have cures for any viruses at all so I don't think they will cure herpes in the near future.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:42 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
Talk away :)

do I think there will be a cure for herpes? Well not anytime soon to be honest. We don't have cures for any viruses at all so I don't think they will cure herpes in the near future.

betsy

I have been looking up info on herpes and i get a good understanding on it and why people have it and dont know they have it why is there not more education on this for instance i know a lot of people who have had fever blisters and cold sores but the thought that it was herpes never cross my mind,

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:41 pm 

I think there's less education on it because in general it's considered a nuisance virus more than anything. I also think that providers don't want to offend people by telling them that a cold sore on the mouth is *GASP* herpes . Also many providers don't have up to date education on the testing we can do to know that it is worthwhile to test patients and educate them on the simplest of things like herpes. One thing that's come out of the flu scare this past year is that when you tell folks to wash their hands and stay away from others when sick and get folks to provide hand sanitizer and wipes for surfaces, it really makes a difference! The little things really do help and I guess it's assumed that most of that is common sense when it's not really for many people.

Unfortunately what also is a factor is that providers have a limited amount of time to spend with you. When faced with 12 minutes to do a full physical exam and teaching, heart disease, stopping smoking, weight loss and wearing a seat belt take priority. Not much time left to talk about things like herpes in general :(

betsy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:35 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
I think there's less education on it because in general it's considered a nuisance virus more than anything. I also think that providers don't want to offend people by telling them that a cold sore on the mouth is *GASP* herpes . Also many providers don't have up to date education on the testing we can do to know that it is worthwhile to test patients and educate them on the simplest of things like herpes. One thing that's come out of the flu scare this past year is that when you tell folks to wash their hands and stay away from others when sick and get folks to provide hand sanitizer and wipes for surfaces, it really makes a difference! The little things really do help and I guess it's assumed that most of that is common sense when it's not really for many people.

Unfortunately what also is a factor is that providers have a limited amount of time to spend with you. When faced with 12 minutes to do a full physical exam and teaching, heart disease, stopping smoking, weight loss and wearing a seat belt take priority. Not much time left to talk about things like herpes in general :(

betsy

true i go to the doctor every year for physicals and every year they took blood and always said everything was find and also my wife had surgery a month before we were told and nothing showed up and let me start over last year around i say april i had an ob and i didnt thik nothing of it and then it kept coming back and i went to the doc and they act like they didnt want to give me an herpes test until i went in for the fourth time and they finally gave me one my wife never had an ob even up to this day but we are both positve even when she had her surgery there was no mention of the virus i just dont understand drs if i didnt have a ob i still would not have known i had this but i rather know than not know question is there any health complications other than the ob right now i am on valtrex and have not had an ob since my wife and i dont know how long we have had this but you know we cried and i think we have become closer behind this because i would not give this to anybody knowing that i have this and it hurts sometimes to think i may have gave it to her by something i done befoe marriage sorry for the long quote but i just needed to vent

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:13 pm 

there wasn't any testing your wife would've had before any surgery that would've let her know that she has herpes. It's not even a part of routine std testing let alone routine pre - op testing.

It's up to you how much guilt you let this give you. you have no idea who gave it to whom. if either of you had partners prior to each other, either of you could've had it and never known it. odds are neither of you were ever tested for herpes prior to this. You can't prevent what you don't know you have.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:11 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
there wasn't any testing your wife would've had before any surgery that would've let her know that she has herpes. It's not even a part of routine std testing let alone routine pre - op testing.

It's up to you how much guilt you let this give you. you have no idea who gave it to whom. if either of you had partners prior to each other, either of you could've had it and never known it. odds are neither of you were ever tested for herpes prior to this. You can't prevent what you don't know you have.

betsy

true thank you ,for that response i feel better with that response thanks, :) my wife is in school for the medical field will this stop her from getting job in nursing

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:08 am 

Absolutely not! We nurses never have that sort of contact with our patients that would make having genital herpes ( or oral herpes ) an issue.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:25 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
Absolutely not! We nurses never have that sort of contact with our patients that would make having genital herpes ( or oral herpes ) an issue.

betsy

Thanks :D wow i kinda understand more now ..i read where there are millions of people who have and dont know it is there an organization or group thats trying to get this info out beside the internet i would love to be a part of it

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:08 am 

[quote="caution"][quote="betsyb1967"]Absolutely not! We nurses never have that sort of contact with our patients that would make having genital herpes ( or oral herpes ) an issue.

betsy[/[quote]what do you think about the vitamin Lysine I have read where it controlls the virus in some cases is there more info on this :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:36 pm 

Lysine actually doesn't do all that much for hsv2. We also don't have any studies to see if it has any effect at all on reducing shedding of the virus either. It's not something we recommend here.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:43 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
Lysine actually doesn't do all that much for hsv2. We also don't have any studies to see if it has any effect at all on reducing shedding of the virus either. It's not something we recommend here.

betsy

Is it ok to take valtrex everyday I just dont want to have a bo and I have about people having itching and pain I never experinced that me or my wife and from the sound of I dont want to :)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:22 am 

yes you can take valtrex daily to prevent recurrences. You can take it that way for years even safely.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:52 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
yes you can take valtrex daily to prevent recurrences. You can take it that way for years even safely.

betsy

I went to get my perscrption for valtrex and they told me they were out is ther really a shortage of valtrex ...is there something else I can take :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:09 pm 

Check elsewhere to get it filled. did you ask them how long the wait is? usually it's not very long.

The shortage should be up soon. There are now 3 companies making generic valtrex so there should be more on the market soon.

You also can check with your provider about taking acyclovir or famvir too if you want.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next