ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pretty Sure
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:16 am 

I have always known that I had HSV1 Orally (for about 15 years now), but the past three weeks something has been going on down south. I have been to the doctor's twice and they tell me there is nothing there, and even if so what difference does it make?

A lot...I have been dating someone for about 3 months now, and things have not been going well. One night I performed oral sex, and that progressed to intercourse. I didn't think I had a cold sore at the time, but now my head is filled with doubts. Sometimes I can't tell, if it is just me being uber paranoid or what. I have been taking Acyclovir for suppression of Cold Sores for about 2 years now off and on. However due the shortage I was only able to get Famvir and I had only taken it once.

The next day after we had sex, I felt a sharp twinge in one area, and irritation all down the left side of my labia. It thought it was just because I got really dry during intercourse and was irritated. It never really went away and then there was just burning in my whole groin area. I finally went to the doctor and they said that everything looked fine, and so I went with that. It did seem to get better, but then worse again. Extreme irritation, and I thought I was getting a cold sore so I took Famvir 2 every twelve hours.

I went back to the doctor the following week, and again, there is nothing wrong. She wouldn't do a culture, because there is nothing to culture, no visible lesions. I did get blood tested, and to no surprise I came up positive for HSV1. I already knew that.

I got another prescription for Acyclovir because the massive amounts of stress I have been under, and so I have been taking 400mg 3 x times a day. However last week, I starting having massive tingling on my left lower side and legs. My stomach has been really upset, and I never have that problem. Also had chills, aches and pains, and my whole left side of my face started hurting. Also my buttocks has been bugging me as well.

Everything I have read states it is unlikely that if you already have HSV1 orally, that you will get it genitally was well. However I have a huge suspicion that I do have it genitally now. Is it possible to get symptoms less than 24 hours of possible exposure? Or did I already have it but since we had sex it triggered an outbreak?

My biggest fear/guilt is that I might of possibly given him this as well. I haven't said anything to him because I wanted to be 100% before I freaked anyone besides myself out. It has been about 16 days since we had any intercourse, and he hasn't said anything to me, but maybe because he is wanting me to say something.

I really don't know how to handle the situation of telling him. That you might possibly have this? Have a nice life? I am consumed and racked with guilt over the situation. Which might be making everything worse, and there is so much tension between us anyway that this will definitely make it fall apart.

Post subject: Re: Pretty Sure
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:19 pm 

Definitely your stress and anxiety isn't help you feel better :(

it's very unlikely you have now contracted hsv1 genitally. symptoms will not occur 24 hours later. whatever is going on, herpes isn't likely to be the cause.

have you two talked about std's and testing in general? odds are he's never been tested for herpes himself even. Definitely worth the talk. If you are both under 28 , discuss if you've both had gardasil shots for hpv too. It's as much about protecting yourself and your fertility as it is protecting him from your hsv1!

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:46 pm 

I have asked, and he has not in fact tested. We are both over 30, and I already have a child and have no plans of having anymore. It is not an option for me to get the HPV vaccination I am over the age rang.

I am just convinced, every symptom has been the sign of a primary outbreak. I am going back to the Dr. today, and seeing if I can force her to do a culture. I have had some kind of 'crusting' / discharge last week. Not sure if that is being paranoid or not. Just have constant nerve tingling on my left side. Which I hear that neuralgia is a side effect.

I am counting until the 20th day to see if he says anything. My biggest fear is that he would never say anything at all too me. Think I am some dirty whore that gave him this disease, when in fact if it were the case I don't think anyone would intentionally cause this on someone.

I do know that the first time we ever had intercourse I had a irritation for a 3 weeks, again the doctor said everything looks fine that time. This time just seems more localized to one side and more symptoms. I have never told a potential partner that I have HSV1 Orally. My ex husband never contracted it, and never had any visible sores. Which mean he probably was exposed to it at a young age.

I don't know how long I can keep fending him off, stating that I am not into it, I should just probably upfront and honest, but I would rather know for sure before opening that can of worms.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:48 pm 

It's best to talk about this all now with him. Let him know your concerns. Ask him to go for testing to see what his own status is. It doesn't get easier the longer you put it off.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]