ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:48 am 

Hi I'm bastetsown and I was recently (May 2010) diagnosed with HSV 2 by specific blood test. My partner does not have either 1 or 2 and we have started taking steps to keep it that way. I have gotten lucky in that he will be staying with me despite my diagnosis. My questions have probably been answered a dozen times but I would like them answered again if you all don't mind too terribly much (or point me to the topic thread where they are answered would be great). So here goes:

1. How long does the virus live outside the human body? Do I have to use separate toiletries because of this lifespan (i.e. soap, toothpaste, towels etc.)?

2. I don't have HSV 1 and have shown no signs of the virus orally, can I still have oral sex with my partner or can HSV 2 be spread orally during or between an outbreak?

3. If I am showing no signs of an outbreak what is my percentage of shedding the virus and where is it shed from?

4. Should I be worried about new "pimples" that show up on other parts of my body? I get them quite regularly and when "popped" they go away rapidly. When should I be worried they are not "pimples", what's the difference?

Well that's all I can think of for right now. I'm sure I will think of more but I'm kinda overwhelmed with the diagnosis right now and how it has changed my life. I have gotten over the woe is me attitude for the most part. Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:23 am 

Can you get the results of your blood test to post here so I can make sure you were properly tested and don't need additional confirmatory testing? all I need to see are the actual numeric results - ie hsv1 igg 5.5 and hsv2 igg 8.9 or whatever they are. Best to make sure you really do have hsv2 since your partner tested negative.

1. How long does the virus live outside the human body? Do I have to use separate toiletries because of this lifespan (i.e. soap, toothpaste, towels etc.)?
no you do not have to use anything separate. everyone in a household should have their own towel, washcloth, toothbrush and razor because many common germs are easily transmitted through them.

2. I don't have HSV 1 and have shown no signs of the virus orally, can I still have oral sex with my partner or can HSV 2 be spread orally during or between an outbreak?
your partner can contract hsv2 orally from performing oral on you. the risk is very small. you will not transmit your genital hsv2 infection from performing oral on your partner though.

3. If I am showing no signs of an outbreak what is my percentage of shedding the virus and where is it shed from?
on average hsv2 sheds 15% of days. it's shed from the entire anogenital area.

4. Should I be worried about new "pimples" that show up on other parts of my body? I get them quite regularly and when "popped" they go away rapidly. When should I be worried they are not "pimples", what's the difference?
herpes will not cause pimples all over your body. pretty much if it's not in the 'boxer short' area as we call it, not a risk of being hsv2.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 am 

Thanks Betsy that's a relief.

I will try to get the numbers today and will post them later. Again thank you for answering my questions, I may have more as time goes by.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:27 pm 

My HSV2 igg is 5.78 the HSV1 did not register.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:34 pm 

thank you for getting that for me. Your hsv2 igg is above the typical false positive cut off rate so no reason for confirmatory testing. always a good idea to double check because many providers unfortunately don't order the right tests.

Your male partner has a 99% likelihood each year on average of not contracting hsv2 from you if you avoid sex any time you have anything going on genitally, take daily suppressive therapy and use condoms. pretty reasonable for most folks.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]