ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 am 

Hi Betsy,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm feeling a little paranoid...so thanks for humoring me!

I've had genital HSV-1 for about 13 years. I got it from having oral sex and I was tested with a swab from an active lesion and a blood test. Since that time, I've only had maybe 4 or 5 outbreaks; they follow the same pattern and are usually very mild, disappearing within a few days.

Due to some recent stress, I felt an outbreak coming on. I had a small cut (like a paper cut or a nick) on my labia, some nerve pain on the top and side of my legs, and slightly swollen lymph nodes -- the usual symptoms for me. I started taking Valtrex on a Tuesday (1 tablet 2x a day for 10 days) and by Wed/Thurs my symptoms were gone. On Sunday night, I had sex with a new guy I've started seeing. We used a condom, but now I'm feeling slightly panicked about the possibility of transmitting it to him so soon after an outbreak. I know the rate of transmission from female to male is low, genital to genital is even lower, I was still taking Valtrex, and it was a one-time encounter, so I'm hoping we're in the clear. What do you think?

Also, it's been a few days and I feel kind of irritated and sore--which is not consistent with my outbreak patterns and hopefully points more toward psychosomatic stress or razor burn/irritation from shaving with a new blade before sex and then having slightly vigorous sex and using different leg muscles than I normally would. However, because I am freaking out, it makes me wonder if my outbreak actually wasn't over...even though at the time I was 100% sure it was and wouldn't have had sex if I was unsure. I'm taking the last two Valtrex today, so I assume I still wouldn't be having symptoms, especially since my outbreaks are so mild and the Valtrex usually has immediate results.

This board is a never-ending source of great information and comfort. Thank you so much for all that you do to help people.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:38 pm 

When you have a recurrence, you only need valtrex 500mg 2x/day for 3 days. the 10 day dose is for newly acquired infections only. Will save you a lot of money as well as a lot of effort!!!

It's low risk that you transmitted this to your new partner. have you two talked about your herpes? Has your partner been tested to know their status?

betsy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:44 pm 

He's going to be tested. I am just always hyper-paranoid at the beginning of a new relationship and I'm making myself sick with worry over it. I've heard that the combination of condom/no outbreak/antiviral makes it very low risk, but I still always find myself thinking "what if" excessively.

I know there hasn't been conclusive research on Valtrex with GHSV-1. Do you think taking it, even for a recurrent outbreak as I was, plays any role in reducing the risk of transmission?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:15 pm 

taking it when you have recurrences just helps to speed healing and reduce shedding quicker. it won't help reduce transmission to a partner.

or was I misunderstanding what you were asking?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:40 pm 

Oh no, that's what I meant--that taking Valtrex would help reduce shedding (and hopefully reduce the chance of shedding while I was having sex?)

I wish I could be more positive, but I am so fearful of passing this to someone.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:13 am 

Odds of transmission are really low but it is hard in the begining of a new relationship to convince yourself of that sometimes. You are just so vulnerable in general in a new relationship so knowing something like herpes could be a stress because of you is hard to deal with sometimes.

hang in there and just keep avoiding sex until everything feels normal down yonder again to err on the side of caution.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]