ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 am 

I was recently diagnosed with genital HSV-2, by lesion culture. I've been talking to my ex about getting back together, and he is (understandably) hesitant about exposing himself to HSV-2 (he does not have it).

One particular question doesn't seem to come up terribly often - at least, I've had a hard time finding an answer to it. If I, an HSV-2 positive female, perform oral sex on him, an HSV-2 negative male, while shedding or during an outbreak - would I be putting him at risk?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:36 pm 

has your partner been tested yet to know his status? If not, assume nothing and he needs tested too. You two can't make educated decisions about who has what until you know who has what.

Your hsv2 is genital. It' s not a risk to your partner if you perform oral sex on him. He needs to be in contact with your genital area in order for the virus to be transmitted to him.

I encourage you both to sit down together, read through the herpes info on the main asha site and compile a list of questions you both have to post here.

If you two avoid sex anytime you have anything going on genitally, you take daily suppressive therapy with valtrex and you use condoms properly, your male partner has a 1% risk/year of contracting hsv2 from you. it's a very low risk in general and taking precautions lowers the risk even more. To have something to compare it to - real use of the birth control pill results in a 8% risk of pregnancy each year.

keep asking questions!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]