ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:52 am 

I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 in March of this year. I got it from having oral sex performed on me. Apparently, he also gave me oral HSV-1, but I never had an outbreak, since I have passed along some cold sores to a now ex-boyfriend. I had blood tests done in January and was negative for HSV-1.

I just need some good solid advice on what I can and can't do with a man who is HSV-1 negative. I don't want to give this to anyone else. I am on Valtrex suppressive therapy and haven't had any outbreaks since the initial genital one.

Will I ever be able to kiss anyone and not give them cold sores?
Can I perform oral sex on a man and not give him genital HSV-1 without using a condom?
Will I ever be able to receive oral sex without using a dental dam?
I have heard you become less contagious after the first year, is this usually the case?
Will I at least be able to kiss someone without giving them cold sores after the first year?
Or should I just resign myself to never having a relationship again unless the person is HSV-1 positive?

Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 am 

welcome to the board :)

Hsv1 genitally reoccurs infrequently on average. About 1/2 of folks never have another ob. Of those who do , the average is 1 additional ob the first year and then 1 ob every other year after that. We have no information as to if suppressive therapy reduces transmission of either oral hsv1 or genital hsv1. we don't know if it reduces ob's for hsv1 genitally but we do know that it reduces ob's for hsv1 orally. Anywhere from 1/4 - 2/3's of people who contract hsv1 genitally also contract it orally. Even the best blood tests we have still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. You have a lesion culture that was typed as hsv1 so even though your blood test is still negative, you know you have hsv1.

Be sure to get partners tested to know their status. You can still contract hsv2 so you want to know a partner's overall status even if they say that they have a history of cold sores. If a partner has hsv1 themselves, your hsv1 isn't an issue. If they don't, transmission is still low overall both orally and especially genitally. Hsv1 orally sheds on average 18% of days and hsv1 genitally sheds on average 3% of days. It's totally up to you and your partner if you want to use barrier protection for sex and oral sex from a herpes standpoint. I know it's hard but remind yourself that you are not contagious far more days than you are contagious!

On average you do shed more the first year than after that.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:23 pm 

Thank you so much for your quick response. We had a few more questions.

Is there anything else that can cut down on transmission? Would taking a higher dose of Valtrex for a few days before help at all? Or perhaps if he took Valtrex for a few days before? Would an antiviral ointment help at all if applied (on lips) prior to exposure? Tea tree oil? Nonoxynol-9?

I'm mainly concerned with kissing and the chance of giving him cold sores. It seems that there are barrier methods we can use for any genital contact that will cut the risk substantially, but I'm not coming up with anything usable for oral transmission.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:31 pm 

nonoxyonol 9 actually increases transmission of std's in general. it shouldn't be used.

nothing else you can do. his taking valtrex won't protect him. you are already on suppressive therapy.

has your new partner been tested to know his own status?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:33 pm 

He has been tested and is negative.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]