ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:07 am 

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Herpes 2 about four years ago. Since my initial outbreak, I have never noticed any others, at least no sores. There were times my body just felt "off," and I assumed that was why.
I was in a long-term relationship with the person who gave me the infection. But now I am not, and I cannot tell you how difficult it has been to feel normal with other partners. Particularly with oral sex. For someone who doesn't seem to have any outside symptoms, how will I know for sure it's safe for the person? And, if he does give oral sex and gets infected, does it stay in the mouth for him?
My second question is about my type. I am pretty sure my doctor told me it was type 2. I am currently seeing a man who has type 1. He told me he hasn't had a cold sore in a long time. Does his having type 1 help in any way from him getting type 2, and vice versa?
Thank you so much for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:10 am 

welcome to the forum :)

what testing did you have done with your initial ob?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:15 am 

I am pretty sure I had a blood test. Are there any other types of tests done? Because she may have done a pap test instead, or in addition to. I am having trouble remembering.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:34 am 

if it was a blood test, it's best if you call and get the results to post here for me to look at. that way we can make sure that you had proper testing done and see if you need additional testing done or not too. all I need to see are the actual numeric results - ie hsv1 igg 5.4 and hsv2 igg .34 or whatever they are.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:21 am 

Well, I called my doctor, and it turns out they did a culture test, so all the nurse could say is that they determined it was type 2 from that. But she also said type 1 was the oral kind and type 2, the genital. And I guess that isn't totally true, at least according ot what i have been reading lately!

She didn't have any numbers for me though. What would these numbers indicate? I can try to get a blood test, but would it matter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:08 pm 

ok if you had a lesion culture that was definitely typed as hsv2, then you know that's what you have. I'm wondering though if it was really typed or if it was just hsv+ and assumed to be hsv2 since it was genital? ( based on the response you got from the person you spoke to ) Perhaps following up with a blood test isn't a bad idea to confirm things unless you can actually look at your culture results to be sure it was typed. You don't get numeric results with the cultures.

has your new fellow been actually tested recently for herpes or just knows he has hsv1 orally from his cold sore history? Usually herpes testing isn't a part of routine std testing so unless he's sure he really was tested, he too will need a type specific herpes igg blood test for hsv2 to check his status for that.

so assuming you do have hsv2 genitally and he only has hsv1 orally, what precautions are available? His having hsv1 orally doesn't protect him significantly from hsv2. It does make it more likely though that should he become infected, he'd have no idea or it would be very mild and perhaps be easily attributed to something else. if you two did nothing but avoid sex during obvious genital symptoms on you, he's 96% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. If you take daily suppressive therapy and use condoms every time, he's 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. As far as oral sex, it's low risk that he'd contract your hsv2 orally but not low risk. You being on daily suppressive therapy means less chance he'd come into contact with active virus over all. You can also utilize barrier protection for oral sex too - like cutting open a condom and laying it over your genitals for him to perform oral on. it's totally up to the two of you and something to talk about together.

keep asking questions!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]